The trouble is...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ckkphoto, Feb 24, 2014.

1. ckkphoto

ckkphoto Pianissimo User

Jan 31, 2013
    Northwest Georgia
    Sometimes when I practice I seem to have real hope for better range...
    Some days I feel like I have tone that goes on forever...
    Some days I feel like I have endurance that won't quit.
    Some days I can really dive into new music.

Trouble is...those things don't seem to come together on the same days! :lol:

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    And what do you expect from us?

I am sure that you know what you are not doing right............. Maybe not everything, but if you even only read through the last 20 threads in this part of the forum, you will be a lot closer.......

3. ckkphoto

ckkphoto Pianissimo User

Jan 31, 2013
    Northwest Georgia
    Just sharing. And I must have failed but it was supposed to be a funny shared experience. All in all things are progressing well but I was pointing out how many things we care about while we try to improve ourselves and that these things improve sometimes all at once and sometimes bit by bit. Sorry for the confusion. Or I could just be an outlier in this regard. :-)

4. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Totally off topic but I do like the quote:

5. ckkphoto

ckkphoto Pianissimo User

Jan 31, 2013
    Northwest Georgia
    Thanks. I can't remember who i ripped it off from but i like it too.

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Things are at their best when we search for a total package not just in the mechanics of playing, but also in our musicianship. Therefore we can isolate tonguing, slurring, sound and range, but these should be worked together in a musical setting by playing tunes. That is why there are so many etude books to explore. A good teacher can assign the best etudes to work on.

At our best we can play first trumpet in any setting well, but also second and third trumpet as well. Each part has its own special challenges.

7. Harky

Harky Pianissimo User

Feb 22, 2013
    Lancaster, PA
    The OP made me smile. What makes this humorous to me is the wisdom behind the statement. Truth be told I suspect all of have been there or are there more often than we care to admit. For many of us, "funny and so true" is a wonderful way to go. I loved it. I am learning at my advanced age that is is important to not take ourselves so bloody seriously.

8. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    amen!!

9. Harky

Harky Pianissimo User

Feb 22, 2013
    Lancaster, PA
    Once again VB has got that right in his last paragraph. In a community band how many times the guys in the first chairs are disgruntled at the guys at the end of the row not considering that they are trying to play sixteenth notes under the staff, G's and A's and whatnot, with the same articulation and speed as the first parts only an octave or even two lower. I'll play the first part every time, save the really high notes. I find the 1st. part is a lot easier than the third part (just for me - my opinion).

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Things are at their best when we acquired the total package... then and only then... can we next strive to think outside of the package. At this point, the sky is the limit and it doesn't get better than this.