The trouble with practicing...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by scrap, May 11, 2011.

1. scrap

scrap Pianissimo User

Oct 22, 2010
    York, South Carolina
    more and more recently I've been wanting to improve my skills at the trumpet..and have come across a major dilllema that I'm sure plagues many a trumpet player..

You see, I live in a neighborhood with a fair number of people who don't want to hear my range building excersizes while trying to sleep before heading off to a third-shift job, with a family who doesn't care for me playing indoors, and so I must ask..what do you do to spare others from the not-always-welcome sound of your trumpet? I'd love to get more practice in but at the moment that's not really an option...

2. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    walk in closets.. the car... yamaha quiet practice system mute .. it is the pits at times

3. NeonMarmot

NeonMarmot New Friend

Sep 25, 2010
    I have a bremner shhh mute that works pretty well. Make sure you have some time to air out your sound with out a mute though, other wise you may develop some bad habits...

4. scrap

scrap Pianissimo User

Oct 22, 2010
    York, South Carolina
    I looked into the shhmutes and they're a little out of the price range I'm looking for. And Dave, if you're reffering to the silent brass mutes I've heard quite a bit about those having horrible backpressure and falling out...I may end up having to walk out of my nighborhood to practice...joy. Or I could always use a Runuzit mute..hooray penny pinching!

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    really! - try the close closet - if you put the bell in a heap of clothes, you won't get backpressure - and you will be amazed at how well it dampens the sound.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    find a place like a church hall to practice. Learning to play the trumpet means that you have to PLAY, not compensate. If the horn does not fit your current living experience, then you either be happy with 50% or change something. Mutes and the like do not help you develop in a natural way. The sound that we produce is blown into the room, picked up by our ears and then modified based on our brains expectations. Basically a servo control system. Destroying that servo severely limits the rest.

7. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I can't think of any better way to do this - maybe a school hall, or a carpark might be an option - but you have to play OUT LOUD so that you know what it's like, and what your trumpet will allow you to do. :cool:

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I agree that the OP should find a place to let the trumpet sing -- but the clothes closet and some soft long tones in the mean time will greatly aid in expanding endurance and range ((in my opinion)) --- it may be easier to take 20 minutes or so here and there in the closet to do some soft long tones, instead of going across town to a place to play --- that's all I meant.

9. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    I think there should be a giant sticky for all the suggestions on how to practice without disturbing others. It is probably one of our greatest troubles. I will be practicing tonight in a few minutes. This practice consists of playing the Clarke Techical Studies which are mean to be played softly. My wife says she can live with this. But, the long tones and other heavy lifting have to be done at work at lunch time when I sneak away.

BrotherBACH

10. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    I know a guy that plys in a shopping mall parking lot right next to a car wreaking junk yard that is soooooo noisy :-)ANTHONY