The trouble with practicing...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by scrap, May 11, 2011.

1. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    I used to bother my wife with my practicing, but found a good solution. Divorce.

But seriously, you need to be creative. There is a place to practice but you may have to modify your schedule to take advantage.
    Student? at school, or in between school and home.
    Work for a living? Lunchtime might be a good time to find a place. In your car is doable.

2. dan42guy

dan42guy New Friend

May 6, 2010
    Fort Worth, TX
    You have to modify your schedule to be nice to other people. Also, if you get to know your neighbors and explain to them that this is really important to you, maybe you can work something out.
    For example, I live in an apartment with a 16 month year old above us and a newborn beside us. We got to know the parents, and I only practice from noon to 5:00. That way the children can sleep in. Also, I practice in the room farthest from people.
    Just be friendly and as courteous as possible.

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    screw 'em!!roflrofl

4. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    there is always the Cat Anderson method ... play second space G for 20 minutes at ppppppp ... rest 10 minutes and then play a third space C at ppppppp for 20 more minutes,, after that your on your own
    @Robin.... concerning the mental adjustments .. I play for a certain feel in the horn... perhaps some of that if from playing in a rock band for a few years... I can tell when the horn is resonating optimally.. well I think I can anyway.. what do you think?

5. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    It always pains me when I hear of these problems. Perhaps that is because my own practice was dismissed by the one who is now my ex-wife. For way too long, I accepted it, then I no longer did and guess what, she lived with it. Making sacrifices to seemingly "keep the peace" is a wrong way to go about any relationship.

The truth is, if the people around you truly care about you and respect you, they should respect your need to play trumpet. There is no reason why you should be giving up this part of yourself. None. If they have no clue that this is important to you, explain it to them.

I understand the part about not playing outdoors if you have neighbors who need sleep at odd times. I work nights and it bugs me to no end when landscapers bring all their machines and 2 stroke engines are buzzing around at the time when I normally get my deep sleep.

But in your case, you should obtain at least one daily hour of indoor playing at your house if you have no other viable alternative. If that is refused to you, then you are being bullied out of expressing yourself artisitically to the extent of which you are capable. That is not acceptable, not from people who are supposed to care about you and love you. It is the equivalent of telling you that your playing is nothing but an annoying habit with no value, even to yourself, so that nobody should even experience a minor inconvenience because of it. You should not accept that.

If you work in a room with a closed door during hours when everybody is pretty much up and active in the house, there is no reason to hold back. Then you can use a mute for 20 min or so; the Clarke studies, that are supposed to be done pp, make for Ok mute time, I guess.

Some may complain, but living life trying to please everybody is a sure way to end up being bullied. And, yes, that applies even to close family members. It's only one hour a day, they can live with it. As you get better, hey might come to enjoy hear you play and following your progress.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Scrap,
    maybe you should give up range building exercizes and start playing music. That probably would be less objectionable - and better for your playing too!

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    My backpack blower at full throttle is a perfect concert A. So I improvise in my head while blowing leaves. If I get bored in that key, I drop the speed down a bit and so on.:lol:

8. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    I never realized how quietly I was playing until I found a teacher .... Who wants to develop into the "quiet trumpeter"???

I found a spot next to the I-5 freeway where I can park well away from any houses, and stand next to my car and play to the passing motorists. You never get hecklers this way, by the time they think of something to shout at you, they're a half mile down the road.:lol:

Turtle

9. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Very true. Fact is, you simply can't develop if you can't practice over the full range of dynamics. We have to make sound, plenty of it, and the embouchure responds to the airflow. For all the advantages of practicing PP (and there are many), there is only so much development that can happen if always playing pp.

I have a spot like that too, near the 205 bridge on the WA side. It has the advantage to be sheltered from the rain and is next to the bike trail, so I can play to passing riders.

10. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    I have to agree here. The only thing my wife really objects to as super irriatating is a long tone exercise that starts in the upper stave and goes above the stave. It lasts for about 15 minutes (with rests). My wife and children have begged me to play music. But I have two practices a day. One is focused on the phsyical aspects of playing which I do at work because it is the most difficult to listen to. The second practice is designed to be more pleasing to the ears: Clarkes techical studies played softly and various etude (i.e., Clarke and Herring) which can also be played softly or with practice mute. So far, everyone is OK.

But, I do have to give a shout out to my wife. With the exception of my long tones which she does find physically painful, she has been hugely supportive of my trumpet playing in every way. I can bring the trumpet on our vacations and practice without feeling guilty. She never complains about the money I spend on lessons, books or other trumpet stuff. Morever, she has recently purchased a Mt. Vernon Bach minted in the same eara as me in anticipation of my 50th this September. She is so happy to see me happy playing the trumpet. I am blessed in this way.

BrotherBACH