The Trumpet Channel

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Decoski, Jan 31, 2011.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Do continue to play with Pandora, as it is cool to see how it changes as you place in your favorites. I would not have discovered Eddie Henderson if it had not been for my "Kenny Barron" channel. Pandora had a few selections off his "Spirit Song" Album. In two clicks, I had purchased the CD (which is how Pandora can support the "free" component of its program options), and in 2 more clicks through Pandora's information links, I had a very entering history of Eddie Henderson's bio.

2. Decoski

Decoski New Friend

Jan 29, 2011
    California
    Yeah I have a few stations set up on Pandora, but none from trumpet jazz artists. I am just beginning to listen to some more trumpet jazz, so I have little knowledge of who is worth setting up a station. Could you give me some recommendations? The only one I was thinking of was maybe Wynton Marsalis because I have a few of his albums and saw him in concert.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I recommend Lee Morgan, Wallace Roney, Nicholas Payton, and Michael Douglas. The reason these are the primary starting points, is that Pandora will give similer links to horn players with these styles. You will hear a lot of Miles with Wallace Roney; a lot of Wynton and Roy Hargrove with Nicholas Payton; Kenny Durham, Freddie Hubbard, Roy Haynes and many others with Lee Morgan. In addition, I would set a couple piano players sites known to play with brass players such as Kenny Barron and you will get additional trumpet players, and as I mentioned in my previous post, that is how I first heard Eddie Henderson that is rapidly becoming my favorite. I have a following now of Latin trumpet players through my Paquito D'Rivera sax station. This would be my recommendation for stations to set up that will give you a wide range of trumpet syles and technique.

4. Decoski

Decoski New Friend

Jan 29, 2011
    California
    I added three of those players from Pandora to my device. Thanks. Big Daddy, I also added jazzradio.com's trumpet station to my favorites. EXCEPTIONAL sound quality on my device! Thanks.

5. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Mezzo Piano User

Mar 22, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    Decoski,
    You are most welcome!

6. TrumpetChica

TrumpetChica New Friend

Jan 30, 2011
    summersville,wv
    Lovin this channel :)

7. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Hello,

is it possible to get a programme listing for this station - either backwards looking, or forwards? I can't see any listings on the site, but would like to be able to refer back to something I've been listening to more than a few hours ago.

--bumblebee

8. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    Interesting site! Just checked it out for the first time and heard "Close up Tight" by Bill Chase. Thanks for the link!
    Kujo

9. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    I enjoy the Trumpet Channel here at home, but I can't seem to get it with my iPod Touch and wireless. Is there an add on that I need?