The Trumpet Shall Sound (dah dah dah, dah dah dah dah)

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by eisprl, Apr 23, 2005.

1. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    Hello all,

Although I have never actually performed this selection while playing in the Massiah, I have often wondered how much ornamentation I would put in if I were to find myself in such a position.

I was listening to it the other day on the radio and I was singing along (humming, more like it) with the trumept part. But my rendition was a little different from that I heard on the radio. What I mean was I put in some "flashy bits" on my own.

What I would like to know is how many of you put in ornamants. (to this specific piece) If so, I assume there is a point where it may be too much? Can anyone tell me what they like to put into this piece? I have a recoring of Handel's Sruite in D Major by Nicolas Elkund (*spelling?). I performed it this year on an A piccolo. The sheet itself has no ornaments, but I tried my best to remember what Elkund did. Wow, he stuck in ornaments almost in every phrase (over exagoration). Would the Massiah selection be any different? I know there is a relationship that must be held between the Singer and the trumpet player, but since the trumpet part is not really an echo part, I see no reason not to put in any "extras". Is moderation a good thing when putting in these embelishments?

Wow, a mouthful. Lot of questions here, I am sorry. Anything you can give, I am sure will help me in my pursuite of musicality in the classical idium.

Cheers
    Eric Sproul

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Eric,

I have a running "joke" with the fiddles when we do Messiah here. They know that I will do certain ornaments the same each performance but the last echo phrase is up to me and it's different each night. I usually make it a little more difficult each night and the conductors realize it's a game. I usually spend the Worthy is the Lamb smirking at the concertmaster who inevitably shakes her head, smiling.

I say have fun with it. It's well written and a good bass will not be covered up. Nothing chromatic and you'll be fine. If you do the Da Capo then go crazy, says I.

ML

3. rjzeller

rjzeller Forte User

Mar 7, 2005
    Rochester, MN
    Ever hear the Wynton recordings of the Micheal Haydn concerto? Compare that with the Maurice Andre recordings and they almost sound like completely different pieces.

There are even subtle differences in how the Hummel, FJ Haydn, and Leopold Mozart concertos are performed.

Granted, those are concertos...but teh trumpet shall sound is likewise a solo piece...so why not embellish? There does need to be a degree of musical sense required to ensure you're still true to the intentions of the composer, but there's still a lot of play there...

my 2 pennies...

4. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Forte User

Oct 11, 2004
    Farnham (a place too smal
    I don't add much ornamentation in this work. I will add a couple of trills and maybe embellish some of the scale passages, but I find that too much ornamentation gets in the way.
    We must remember, after all, that this is NOT a trumpet solo. It is a solo for the bass, we are simply an orchestral part that happens to be important.

Manny makes a very good point about the ornamentation - you really have to trust the rest of the orchestra that they will follow your lead. I heard a performance of this piece where the trumpeter was adding in all sorts of stuff (not much of which worked, in my opinion) and yet the whole orchestra stuck to what was on the page. It sounded like they had never worked together before.
    If you are unsure of the rest of the players, I would tend to avoid ornaments, especially the more elaborate style.

Just my opinion, please feel free to ignore :-)

5. trombapaul

trombapaul Pianissimo User

Sep 30, 2004
    Detroit, MI
    I try to take it easy on the ornaments simply because it's a Bass solo piece,
    not a trumpet solo. The trumpet accompanies the Bass soloist (I know....
    blasphemous!!! :evil: ). I will put in some but we should never out-do
    the actual soloist. Just my $0.02

Paul

6. stewmuse

stewmuse Pianissimo User

Apr 28, 2004
    NW Chicago
    Not to simply be a pain in the toot, but this work is actually for Baritone soloist. There really aren't any low parts. FWIW, I did an arrangement of this piece when I directed the Chicago Brass Choir, and we performed it at the Trumpet Guild conference in Evansville in 2001. The baritone soloist's role is covered by trombone, and it's in the traditional key.

7. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    That's OK, Mike... I didn't feel a thing. :bleah: