The truth exposed!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by max3k, Mar 4, 2009.

1. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    about 13-14 years ago the assistant director was directing a piece [he is a clarinet player] and I had about a 12 bar solo with woodwinds in the background. My part was written mf and he said I was way to loud so I backed it of to about p and he stopped the band and said I was still to loud. We did it again and I just pretended to play and again he stopped the band and said Dave you are still to loud, I said that I didn't even play that time and he said " yes you did and it was to loud. The player told the director that I wasn't playing and his comment was " I know what I heard and Dave's to loud". At the concert our main conductor directed that song and I played it mf and after the concert the director said I needed to bring it out a little more the next time we play it. I brought this little story to point out that we as players need to adjust to what the director wants no matter what the chart says.

2. ccNochops

ccNochops Piano User

Sep 30, 2006
    White Marsh, VA
    "It is sometimes a shame that we do not take advantages of situations with a different balance of instruments to widen our horizons instead of dumping on the idea that brass is not there to bury everything else.".........do what? We're not here to crush the life outta woodwinds & strings? I guess I'll just bury my bell in the stand in shame ROFL

3. BenH

BenH Pianissimo User

Oct 14, 2008
    UK
    There are two sides to a trumpet player's personality - first, the side that wishes to lay waste to woodwinds and strings, leaving them bleeding and broken in our wake; then, there's the dark side.

Paraphrased, as I don't know where the original is from.

4. The Weez

The Weez Piano User

Dec 23, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    As many have given advice here, playing softly is something that everybody should work on! Playing pianissimo and sounding good can be tough, especially for a relative beginner like me. This is the reason that my practice sessions begin and end with soft long tone drills!

5. hubnub

hubnub Piano User

May 4, 2007
    Cleveland, OH

There are two sides to a trumpeter's personality:
    There is the one that lives only to lay waste to the
    woodwinds and strings, leaving them lying blue
    & lifeless along the swath of destruction. That is a
    trumpeter's fury; then there is the dark side.......

6. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    As I stated, one professional Music Director admitted it was awful.
    One was too nice.
    I hadn't spoken to the third about it yet.

But I will ask her for some lessons. Thank you Mr. Rowuk.
    I think I understand what you are trying to Convey. Goodbye.

7. HSOtrumpet1

HSOtrumpet1 Pianissimo User

Nov 28, 2008
    Michigan
    Here is my take on it... We should appreciate the other instruments (and lighten up folks, Wynton was just having his little joke) During those 40 measure rests in orchestra, I love listening to the woodwinds and strings take it away! But Rowuk, think about this - Damnation of Faust, March Racoczy. That beginning fanfare. That would sound ridiculous played softly! So would the last movement of the Faust Ballet Music (Ch. Gounod) Also think of a piece like Black Horse Troop March (did I get that name right?) by Sousa. We want the loud, hit-you-in-the-face trumpet sound there. That's a perfect example. There are some times when we want the trumpet color to show through with great intensity, but like you have said, there is a time and place for that. I think the most important thing is to remember to make that distinction. Best regards everyone,

-HSO

8. Jasperloma

Jasperloma New Friend

Dec 25, 2008
    El Segundo, CA
    Nope. He is serious and more importantly, correct!

You can't hide from the Truth because the Truth is all there is.

9. willbarber

willbarber Piano User

Nov 22, 2008
    Medina, NY
    Wynton, laying out everything we've wanted to shout at the top of our lungs in the middle of practice.

10. Archer1945

Archer1945 New Friend

Mar 4, 2009
    Missouri
    I hope Wynton was joking because if I wasn't I've lost my faith in him as an excellent musician. Maybe it is because I've always, with one exception, played in concert bands all my life but the directors I've had have always worked for a balanced sound and usually done a pretty good job of getting it, even when the trumpet section had 14 top notch players in a 70 piece group. Interesting thing about that group was that many of its members were either former music teachers, presently active music teachers,or former professionals. I was one of the very few that did not fit into any of those categories. Our 4 1st trumpets were all extremely powerful players, all of them band directors, who had no problems blending with any of the woodwinds. :-)

Btw, if the trumpet is always in tune, as Wynton says, why does it have all those slides to adjust the tuning?:shock: