The truth exposed!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by max3k, Mar 4, 2009.

1. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    So you can adjust to another instrument that may be out of tune and played by someone with great legs, or other gorgeous bits, not with a Viola though.

Trumpets always assume the "always in tune position" because trumpetters always know best about tuning and dynamics and volume and jokes and beer and stuff. It's obvious, isn't it? :roll:

2. Archer1945

Archer1945 New Friend

Mar 4, 2009
    Missouri
    My daughter, who was a fair viola player in HS, might take exception to that statement.;-)

3. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Yeah But! Yeah But! Yeah But! - daughters (and neices) are always exempt from rules, aren't they. :cool:

4. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    We as trumpet players have to realize that an ensemble isn't there to feature us as every piece of music is not. We also learn as professionals that the conductor is always right even when he isn't. That's our job to fit into the ensemble and make it sound as one. Everytime we play it is not a solo, that's why God gave us ears to listen and balance. Yes, there are times when we need to stand out, but these times are fewer than many of us think.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If our goal is making music, every piece features EVERY musician. Only when each person in the ensemble fills their part of the big picture, does the magic happen. Testosterone generally turns the brain off and then the results become predictably annoying.

6. guitmusic11

guitmusic11 New Friend

Mar 1, 2009
    Tuning part was definitely a joke. No question "Thats why they're all jealous"

7. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Listen, I'm trying hard to stay out. But I must ask you of your testosterone remarks twice, now. Rowuk, are you a female? And also, do you know the testosterone levels that you blame are diminished quickly after the age of 35?

I'm sorry that I can only stress with importance to preach what I believe on this sight.

Have you listened to the London Symphonic Orchestra lately? The trumpets are crescendo. they are the voice when no one is singing. trumpets are the cherry on the sundae, bottom line. And all the points about balance among other musicians goes without saying, we are experienced; and I said, I could not hear the brass or percussion, and I meant the whole performance. When the High school band came out directed by the one who admitted the Jr. band sounded awful, they demonstrated what a concert symphony should sound like and I was blown out of my chair. I had tears in my eyes.

Earlier on this thread, I posted a remark about a music director, and I labelled her as the female to distinguish her from the other two pros and the semi pro. I am no chauvinist. She introduced a song and the story behind it before they played it. she warned there would be a "Jet Crashing" in this musical composition, "Flight of Valor". Well, there was no crash , I'm sorry to report. She is just afraid someone is going to complain the concert was too loud.

She is a director for my sons Jr. high band. This is her first job at directing, and I'm twice her age. Everyone notices her poor judgement. When I make a remark that I could not hear the brass or percussion, I am not being biassed, and I don't have any testosterone, I picked up my first trumpet in 1975. I am not a man's man. I don't hunt.

This director strikes up the marching band at a football game in the middle of a play. YOU DON"T DO THAT, OKAY???? I'm not the one telling her, I'm just agreeing with what's already been said.

Anyway, with all respect, I know I have an abrasive personality, and it shows when I argue, on an old thread why you should not leave your trumpet stored outside in your car when it is below freezing, for the water inside will move the metal as it freezes to ice and expands inside it; or the misunderstood point of a hard case refereed to as a gig a bag, when it is actually a case. I don't know, ............

I appreciate each and every one of you, always.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2009
  8. Artemisia

Artemisia Pianissimo User

Jan 24, 2009
    Austria
    Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha, omfg!!! ROFL

9. Rushtucky

Rushtucky Pianissimo User

Sep 15, 2008
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    WOW...I did not know there were any other instruments other than Trumpets! Now I know that those noises I have been hearing in our band.

10. HSOtrumpet1

HSOtrumpet1 Pianissimo User

Nov 28, 2008
    Michigan
    Are you kidding me? One of our violas is one of the best looking girls I know by far!