The ultimate horn....

Discussion in 'Horns' started by PhatmonB6, Jul 14, 2005.

1. PhatmonB6

PhatmonB6 Mezzo Piano User

Jan 16, 2005
    Minnesota
    Ok I want to make this short and sweet so here it goes...we got Monette, Bach Strad Mt. Vernon, Olds Recording, Martin Commitee, Conn 38B all the big name "gotta have horns", but what is the ultimate one horn that everybody could say "yhea I have one" Weather or not you play it but just to say you have it in your arsenal. :dontknow: Looking forward to some very interesting posts. I am sure alot of different horns are going to come up but to narrow it down to that one "gotta have" what would it be ;-)

2. camelbrass

camelbrass Mezzo Forte User

Nov 5, 2003
    Dubai, UAE
    Ok, here's a short and sweet answer.

A good Bach 37...the year doesn't matter.

Regards,

Trevor

3. Bourbon City

Bourbon City Pianissimo User

Jun 8, 2004
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    OK, here's the order of the horns I have owned or just played:

1. Doc's Destino
    1. Bach 180/37
    2. Kanstul Chicago 1000

Oops, I have two #1's. :?: Oh, heck with it. I don't have time to change it. But, and just maybe, if money did not matter, then they are in the correct order.

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I have to agree with Trevor on this one. Whether the Bach Strad ML 37 is actually THE horn can be argued, but most people that have played trumpet seriously in various situations from mid high school onward have owned a Strad ML 37 at one point or another. I've owned 3 Bachs over the years and all were solid horns that worked well in pretty much any situation.

5. Chris4

Chris4 Pianissimo User

Jul 16, 2005
    I would have to say that the Yamaha Xeno is the best non-customized horn to get. Although you could try an Eclipse...

6. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    The Yamaha Xeno may be a great trumpet, but it doesn't fit the quote:
    That's why I agreed with Trevor on the ML Strad with the 37 bell.

7. jcstites

jcstites Mezzo Forte User

Jun 1, 2005
    Tallahassee, FL
    i think every post i ahve seen u make is reccomending a xeno.....

topic:

BACH 37 (i prefer the reverse leadpipe though)

8. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    For me it is easy -- I have all but one of what I consider the ultimate horns -- now at 47-years of age I need to learn to play them!!!

My ultimate horn is my Bach Strad with a Harrelson 750 modification.
    [​IMG]

I also love my schilke Pic, Kanstul flugel, and the Bach Strad I still have from when I was in 7th grade. I could practice 10-hours a day and never play at a level that is too good for that selection of horns.

The one horn I don't have that I would love is an Eclipse LC. I think it matches mmy style of playing. I would also love to play any of Jason Harrelson's new horns. His modifications are amazing, I can't imagine how good his horns made 100% by his design could be.

We are blessed to have so many fine horn makers in the world today. I could have named 25 other brands/names and still had more good horns that I would have left off my list.

9. trumpet blower88

trumpet blower88 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Even though I will never own one, "The" horn has to be the Bach Strad 37.

Most students play on a Strad because it works for just about every situation, and they have no real need for more than one or two horns. It seems that most professionals have a couple of these horns too, 1) Probably because thats what they learned on, and 2) Because they are a solid overall horn.

I think the main reason the Strads are so popular is because it has the big name "Bach" and it is relitivly low in price. Students who want to buy a new horn generaly seem to not do alot of "homework" about the horns, they don't know what else is out there and usualy comes down to the Yamaha Xeno or the Bach Strad.

Thats my opinion, take it or leave it...

10. dbacon

dbacon Mezzo Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Scottsdale, AZ.
    I have three excellent Bachs, two Bflats and one C. One of the Bflats is an ML/LT 37bell that I put a 43LR on. This is a very fine trumpet I use for a wide variety of styles and if I could only play one instrument this would be it.