The Upper Register

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trmpt_plyr, Jul 10, 2009.

1. trmpt_plyr

trmpt_plyr Pianissimo User

Jun 12, 2009
    US
    Sometimes, I can get the notes that are up there really easily. At other times, I can barely play them. Most of the time, its in between. Does anyone have any tips?

2. Bagnewauckland

Bagnewauckland Pianissimo User

Dec 2, 2008
    New Zealand
    Practice

3. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Practice every day to build consistency in all areas of trumpet playing , as far as the upper register goes practice up there using long-tones ,slurs, scales arpeggios and songs up an octave alternating hard playing and light playing every other day, but don't over do it on the so called hard days , think about your breath support in all registers, get a daily warm-up routine from your teacher . Remember one of the things that separates a pro from student is consistency in performance.

4. DanZ_FL

DanZ_FL Pianissimo User

Jun 16, 2009
    Clearwater, Florida
    Slow pianissimo slurs, pianissimo long tones (start w/ 2nd line G and move up and down alternately in half steps). Slow pianissimo scales around the circle of fifths (pick between major and the minor scales to keep it mentally interesting).

Soft playing builds control. Control leads to consistency. Consistency is probably the most important aspect of trumpet playing. Many have killer moments but to be at a certain level of excellence at any given moment is where you'll find your standard as a player.

5. Nikv

Nikv Pianissimo User

Jun 20, 2009
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Because I don't want to start another high register thread,
    I'll ask my question here.

Just curious:
    Does anyone ever have it happen where when you're playing in the high range, all of the sudden it seems to drop out, and produce this squeaky, airy tone?

6. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    have you tried a trumpet teacher?

7. Nikv

Nikv Pianissimo User

Jun 20, 2009
    Santa Barbara, CA
    You mean me? Or the OP?

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    High notes are reserved for the naturally talented, or the intelligent player with patience and a good teacher. If you don't qualify, it is not impossible, but improbable that the internet could offer what is missing.

The best place to start is with an intelligent daily routine. Use our search feature to find that and you will be on your way to getting "qualified"

9. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    When I was in high school, the football coach used to say:
    "Practise how you play"

He didn't want us to save it for the game. "Practise hard, play hard"

So,
    Get a shallow mouthpiece and warm up on it and play in the upper register. The more you do it the higher you will get. Go on trumpet Herald and look up the Caruso method. There is one that has timed intervals and has you slurring up and down a third, each time going up a note. It's timed with breathing. This will increase your range big time.

No one on here will tell you this stuff. They will all say to just get a teacher and practise.
    Do Abran's and Clark and in another five years range will come. That's all true but if you want it now, do what I'm telling you. Big breaths and a lot of air. Fill your lungs until you think you will pop and never empty while playing more that half way.

Now, here is a warning:
    You asked how to play high. If you take my advice, you will play high but you won't be able to do much else. You have to decide what you want. If you want to play everything, do what the others are saying.

10. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    The OP of course.