The Value of my strad 37

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Heavens2kadonka, Jul 19, 2004.

1. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Where would be the best place to determine it? It's my first Bach strad, in (what I think is) excellent condition for a horn that has been played for four years in every condition, inside and out.

The valve casings have that bit of blackness on it that seemingly EVERY horn gets that wears a valve guard (How in the hell can I remove it!??!). There's slight tarnish on the third valve slide (where the pinkey finger usually rests), and where the leadpipe finger ring is (Can't even tell if you don't look). There has been a large dent pulled on the 3rd valve slide, and two dings on the bell. It has been chemically cleaned recently, and plays like it should.

What could I probably expect to sell it for? The dealer in Mufreesboro suggested I go for a grand, but I don't really THINK it's worth that (although if I find it IS, by goshen, I will be asking for it!). Of course, a NEW strad here costs $2000.....

2. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    check out ebay and see how much strads in the same shape are going for, that will give you a start. if it is in great shape $900-1000 wouldnt be to far off in my book.

3. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    New Strads street price are closer to $1500 depending on the setup. I did an Andale price research of eBay prices:

The results (no condition is taken into consideration):

Avg Price: $435.00
    Top Price Asked: $1650.00
    High Range Avg: $580 to $730

That was prices for the last month.

I watch eBay quite a bit. A nice Strad should get between $700 and $1000, depending on setup, case, condition, dents, dings, etc.

Jim

4. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    I was planning on posting the $1000.00 mark as the ASKING price (I will go down to maybe 850-900, I dunno.) I was also hoping to include a gold 5b mouthpiece and a stonelined mute in the package (I "borrowed" the mute and never found the owner, and I've never used the mouthpiece, it has marks on the shank, and thats it!), so I'm hoping I can find someone who'll take it.

HEEEYY!! I just realized my uncle has an e-bay sales business (strange man he is), and I could see what it could bring online!

What could I describe that black poo on the valves as? "Minor discoloration"? Geh, I don't like it, whatever it is.

5. JHarris

JHarris New Friend

Jul 13, 2004
    Soak the valves in white vinigear to get it off!

6. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    or you can use "never dull" to get them clean, it also works wonders on slides. it will have them looking exactly like new.

7. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    Hmm, my valve guard hasn't given me black marks. It still looks brand new underneath the guard (had the trumpet for just over a year).

8. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Isn't that just a bit abrasive to use on silver plating?

I think that your best bet for cleaning up that horn is to take it to a reputable shop and have them clean it up. They will use jeweler's wicking to take that garbage off of the valves. Yeah, it will cost you a bit, but your horn will be easier to sell because it's all nice and shiny. It will look brand new just so long has you haven't actually worn through the plating anywhere, and that can be spot-plated.

It seems a bit silly because how it plays should be the determining selling factor, but it isn't. You will be able to ask more and get it if it looks really nice sitting in the case.

9. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    i was talking about never dull for the valves and slides,

i have used it on sliver before, you have to be very gently with it and only use it on really bad spots that you cant get off any other way.

10. orchtrpt

orchtrpt Pianissimo User

Mar 4, 2004
    What is never dull? What is its intended use?