The warm down

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ptynan, Jun 28, 2006.

1. ptynan

ptynan Pianissimo User

Sep 13, 2005
    Antigonish, NS
    Just curious what warm downs people are doing after a long practice session or gig. Or if you don't do a warm down, why?

For me it's fluttering, quite long tones, and pedal tones.

PT

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Gerald B. Webster trick: Sing along with your low tones (not quite on pitch so as to get some beats happening) and enjoy the massaging effect, play some "ghost tones" (ones you can hear, but don't seem to make it out the bell) to bring the lips back together.

You can also try adding the Vulgano Brothers' Chemical Warmdown: Smear Carmex on the lips, followed by impressive amounts of beer.

3. HornBoy

HornBoy New Friend

Feb 22, 2006
    Australia
    Just long tones for me, starting at around high f at about forte and slurring down a harmonic at a time very slowly (F - D - Bflat - F, E - C - G etc.) getting softer and softer and move down till I get into piannissimo then some pedals. End up with that tingling feeling on the lips and I'm done.

Just out of curiosity....is there a Vulgano Brother Chemical warm up?

4. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Usually some expanding intervals, beginning low c to b and back, then to Bb and back, then a and so on. Then some pitch bendingin this manner: C-B (fingered normally, then C-B bending, rest 4 beats, then B-Bb and so on to low F) followed by some pedal tones and lip flapping. Coat some ChopSaver on then everything's happy.

5. John P

John P Piano User

Jun 16, 2006
    Camp Hill, PA
    I usually do slow, downward octave arpeggios starting on tuning C, going down chromatically until I get down to pedal C. Then some soft pedals. I'm also a big fan of DCT :-)

6. ldwoods

ldwoods Piano User

Jan 20, 2006
    I guess I am different from the people who have replied so far. I have tried warm downs with low notes, even pedals. For me, I do much better the following day if I stay away from the pedals at the end of practice. Maybe it's a muscle memory thing or something? If I end on pedals, the following day I find it hard to refocus and the upper register is harder. If I end on simple long tones, concentrating on pure tone, ease of tone production, and stay above mid C, the following day is much better.

7. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Schwab wrote:
    You beat me Dylan, that's about it.

After a four set gig, why warm down? And where? On the bandstand?

-cw-

8. TheCanadianScreamer

TheCanadianScreamer New Friend

Jun 29, 2006
    I always find pedal tones and a beer to be helpful. :D
    ______________________________________----
    " If you're happy and you know it, clap your hands." Da Tasteebros

9. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Here here fellas...

You beat me to it as well.

I too have found that warming down neither improves or hinders my playing so I don't bother.

The only step I might add is polish trumpet if needed! :D

10. samdaman

samdaman Pianissimo User

Jun 15, 2006
    Baltimore, MD
    Warming down is different from person to person. It's kinnda like exercising or weightlifting. Runners go out and run a marathon. Some probably cross the finish line, get a drink of water, walk around for a little, and then drive home. Others have to drink a gallon of water (I wouldn't suggest it :shock: ), walk another mile as a warm down, and then do some stretches before they go home.

Personally I do the long tones bit, the low slurs, and pedals. I also add in at the end a little bit of some 'higher stuff'. I do a few 2 ocatave G scales just to run the range of the horn before I put it away. I find it helps keep the flexibility. But mostly, its a personal preference.

Take it as you will people. :dontknow: