The warm down

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ptynan, Jun 28, 2006.

1. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    Warm down?

From the tone of this thread, am I to take it that my performance the day following a performance will either be enhanced or damaged by a "warm down", or lack thereof? I can think of no logical reason for a warm down, from a musculature standpoint. I guess that I have to vote with those who pull the mouthpiece, put the horn in the case, and go drink whatever favorite beverage is available.

OLDLOU>>

2. samdaman

samdaman Pianissimo User

Jun 15, 2006
    Baltimore, MD
    Here's something from ITG that also supports the warm down theory too:

http://www.trumpetguild.org/pdf/2001journal/0110Clinic.pdf

Just thought I would throw that one out there. I agree with what this article says. After playing a long jazz band practice where I'm up on High Cs,Ds, and Es, I need to warm down or else the next day my chops are crap. One of the things that warming down does for the chops is that it restores blood flow to them. This helps with muscle and tissue repair.

Just thought I would throw that out there.

3. NickD

NickD Forte User

I with Dylan

I with Dylan, except after simply putting my horn away I grab a cup-o-joe. I don't drink! ;-)

If I were to do anything, I'd just flutter my chops as I'm packing up the horn.

Peace!

Nick

4. robertwhite

robertwhite Mezzo Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Oldlou, I think the idea behind warming down is to reconnect with easy production and centered tone quality if you are feeling "beat up".

I've not ever used a warm down with any consistency, but if I'm unhappy with what I sound like, I'll try not to put the horn away until I manage to play something that sounds good. For me, this has a lot more to do with my mind than with my chops.

5. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    Robt. White

Are you inferring that your playing condition is psychosematic (sp)? :cool:

OLDLOU>>

6. robertwhite

robertwhite Mezzo Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    I dunno about that, but my head is what makes my chops work right!

7. dbacon

dbacon Mezzo Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Scottsdale, AZ.
    I'll put a brick on my upper lip, hit it with a hammer a few times.

Get coat hangers for both corners, insert and have two guys pull as hard as possible.

Play G as loud as possible and run full speed into the wall.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All seriousness aside, you find your chops where you left them the night before. I've come home after a hard gig and practiced Schlossberg for 20 mins. Next day is very nice. Uan Rasey (who played lead on over 5,000 movies!) told me he'd do a morning studio date, drive to the next studio and stop along the way for some Schlossberg. 10-12 plus hours a day, everyday, but things like that kept him playing at the highest level for all those years!

8. MPM

MPM Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    Warm Down ?

There are probably as many opinions on this as there are trumpet players. Here's mine, where my playing is concerned, for what it's worth.

Accually this can get a little involved but I'll try to post the "in a nut-shell"version.

(1) If it's been a particuarly brutal day / night / gig, I like to warm down with some very easy, slow, soft, Schlossberg-ish lips slurs until get a nice 'focus' back. Then I do Carmine Caruso type chromatic pedals, softly, as low as I can go, then play a chromatic scale from low f# to a high 'E' or 'G' at a mf volume. An analogy would be a serious runner ... he probably wouldn't do a hard 10-15 mile run and then just sit down and call it quits. He'll 'walk it off' get the heart rate back to normal, keep the blood flowing, allowing the lactic acid build up deplete.

(2) On a day off, where I'm practicing all day, a nice liesurely, warm up / practice session(s) / warm down all sort of meld into one another so it's not really a "Warm Up"-"Practice"-"Warm Down" regimen.

(3) On the Maynard band ... a whole new different ball of wax for me. As trumpet player and valet, as soon as the show is over I'm busy with Maynard so I don't get to warm down. So ... most of the time a very careful warm up the next day is important for me.
    ----------------
    The "Warm Up" is a whole nother thing, and another thread, and different for everyone.
    ----------------

Hope this helped.

Michael Manthey

9. loudog

loudog Piano User

Jan 4, 2004
    Grand Island, NE
    I like playing lip bends...starting on a G, bending to an F#, then back up, then down to an F, then back up, then down to an E, and so on...I go down a perfect fourth, then I do it all on F#, then i do it all on F, and so on until I get to low C.

My lips feel GREAT after that! My goal is to bend slowly, evenly, and hold on the lower pitch for a while. I try to make the timbre of the all the pitches the same, while I'm bending. It's magic for the chops!

Louie

10. robbie

robbie New Friend

Sep 23, 2005
    I just breath attack some low f#'s, really quitely and hold them for about 30 seconds each.I usually play about 3 or 4 of these,then horns in the bag,and you can buy me a drink at the bar.