The way Maynard held his horn

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Alex_C, Sep 7, 2010.

1. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    ...deleted....

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  2. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005

Robin,

You're right, but using the pinky in the ring is an enabler for students who haven't yet developed the awareness and facility to avoid over pressuring. Obviously, playing without the finger in the ring is not going to totally prevent playing with too much pressure, but I've found it's a very good habit to get beginning and intermediate students into to help avoid it. Once somebody has the sense of not playing with too much pressure, well, that's a different story -- experienced players get away with all kinds of things that I would not recommend for a beginner.

bigtiny

3. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    Rowuk's comments always seem to be solid gold to me.

4. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    If you don't TOUCH the bell with your left hand, it rings and vibrates more fully on a trumpet that needs to be SOLDERED at the 2nd valve casing. :roll:

Same for touching the leadpipe .... HUGE difference. This is a recent pawn shop find, a Getzen Severinsen and it's not soldered properly on the leadpipe, where it connects to the 2nd valve casing. Yes, I know I need to get it fixed.

I need to put my thumb on the leadpipe or it vibrates excessively and the sound isn't focused. That side absolutely needs to be soldered as it's also putting added pressure on the tuning slide, which doesn't move easily.

But the bell ..... I believe I like the sound better when I DON'T touch the bell (with the index finger, near to where it normally would be soldered in place). I imagine, if soldered, it would dampen down these vibrations (overtones getting dampened too?). Maybe I'll leave it the way it is.:dontknow:

Turtle

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I have been teaching for over 30 years and the pinky ring has never been an issue with over 1000 kids. Why? because they learn to play correctly from the first lesson. I get them locked into a daily routine from the first lesson. They don't "struggle" with range, tonguing or scales because I don't babysit. They don't practice, no lesson. That happens max once or twice and they are cured. Kids love being successful. It is so easy. Teach them to blow first and everything else stays relaxed.

It is not the pinky ring and I will not let the lazy off of the hook. It ain't cigarettes, it's the smoker, it ain't guns - it is those that pull the trigger. Teaching the kids that there is a reaction for every action helps them figure out tough stuff. I use the ring sometimes and sometimes not. The same goes for my students. We never think or talk about it.

6. GordonH

GordonH Mezzo Forte User

May 15, 2005
    Scotland
    Funny that this should come up at this time. I play on a Wick 3 and I was trying to explain to the rest of the guys in the band how I was able to play above top C with so little apparent effort. Its not just reducing the pressure, its also psychological and realising you its about resonance and air speed rather than brute force.

7. chet fan

chet fan Piano User

Jul 3, 2009
    I have read somewhere that maynard was sometimes bleeding from his lips after the concert. (though maybe it is internet lie)

but anyway, doenst that mean that he had huge problm with pressure?

8. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005

that's bull. I saw Maynard many times in concert...if he bled from his lips, how long do you think he could play the way he did?

bigtiny

9. ewanmains

ewanmains Piano User

Jun 9, 2009
    Kilmarnock, UK
    ChetFan - I think you're probably thinking of one of Maynard's 'jokes' there.

He used to carry a mouthpiece around with him filled with broken glass & fake blood. When fans asked him what mouthpiece he was playing on, he used to pull this out as a joke.

10. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    I heard an interview with him once and he was talking about when he had the Birdland Dream Band and they played regularly in NYC. He was living in Westchester county and he said that as he drove to the gig every night, he would buzz the mouthpiece to warm up. He'd walk in the club and hit it.

Players would ask him how he walked in cold and played like that and he would laugh and tell them about his in-car warmup.... =:-)

bigtiny