The way Maynard held his horn

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Alex_C, Sep 7, 2010.

1. ltg_trumpet

ltg_trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Jan 21, 2009
    i find it funny that the guy in macarthur park has got his pinky jammed in the top ring, but nonetheless, flawless high trumpet

2. Moshe Mizrachi

Moshe Mizrachi Pianissimo User

Feb 17, 2010
    Since Lynn was resting his trumpet on top of his left hand,
    his right hand with pinky in the hook was the main thing stabilizing the trumpet.
    Strange, I admit...

3. ltg_trumpet

ltg_trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Jan 21, 2009
    hahaha, it works though, and i respect that! lol

4. daniel starz

daniel starz Piano User

Jan 11, 2009
    wasilla alaska
    my son Daniel spent some time with Lynn in Las Vegas this july,,,
    Lynn said this was his youngest student at 13 ,, Lynn is very thoughtful , oh Daniel is playing much higher ,, his secrete ,,, you have to ask Lynn :play:

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    This is really what it is about. Not some Internet geeks spewing things that they THINK that they understand, rather a concept in context with a real players needs - from a master.

There is no one way, there is no "best" way to hold the horn. The successful find synergy, the rest either simply enjoy what they have or handicap themselves with some theory that they think fits. When I teach students coming from other teachers, I often have to demonstrate and "prove" concepts that my own students NEVER had to think about. It is quite often the same here at TM.

Turtlejimmy,
    I find that I need contact with the bell. It gives me feedback in spite of the bracing. Braces themselves have various functions, one is to transmit vibration - that applies to the front and back brace. The middle bell brace to the valves is there to DAMP vibrations. Monette is using 2 braces between the leadpipe and valve casing - want to bet why?

6. Hoosier303

Hoosier303 Pianissimo User

Nov 2, 2008
    Indiana
    I don't know who the dude is on the band on the David Letterman Show but he barely uses his left hand at all...very strange

7. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Thanks Robin. The more feedback the better. And yes, I've been thinking that too ..... The way the designer intended it is undoubtedly best, especially on a pro horn. No need to try and second guess them.

Turtle

8. daniel starz

daniel starz Piano User

Jan 11, 2009
    wasilla alaska
    i asked my son tonight how he was playing ,, very high dad ,, ok what does that mean son ?
    well dad i can play G four ledger lines above the staff,
    ok son what was your highest note before playing with Lynn ?
    i could barely hit D above the staff.
    is that much easier now , yes i can walk right up there easy.

enough said !! was that worth every penny ,, you bet .
    a great friend good man excellent teacher.
    Daniel goes back this December over Christmas vacation.

:play:

Last edited: Sep 12, 2010
  9. daniel starz

daniel starz Piano User

Jan 11, 2009
    wasilla alaska
    Well Daniel and I have read all these posts together and he shared alot of things with me , that he had not before .
    Daniel is a down stream player , I have noticed this watching him play in band , his trumpet pointing down,, slight overbite like me .
    but Lynn went one step more with that concept , Daniel has a small gap between his left two top teeth thus can flow MORE AIR ,, Lynn ask Daniel to place his horn slightly that way.
    One other thing he ask Daniel to do is buzz though a ring so he can watch his lips buzz and work on getting them to buzz across the ring ,
    Daniel said Lynn can play a song better with a ring than he can with the trumpet .

Last edited: Sep 12, 2010
  10. Jolter

Jolter Piano User

Apr 1, 2009
    Sweden
    Concerning the right-hand pinky ring, I was taught not to use it while playing because restricting the pinky's movement will make ring finger movement harder. Nobody mentioned pressure, just fingering.