The wimpy modern "trumpet" vs the mighty contra-alto

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by gsmonks, Mar 8, 2016.

1. gsmonks

gsmonks Piano User

Tuning? What am tuning? :)

Have you priced the modern natural trumpets with holes?

They play in tune. But those fast chromatic passages . . .

2. gsmonks

gsmonks Piano User

Ah . . . lovely F contrabass valved trombone!

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Ever notice that woodwinds with lots of holes gets faster notes than trumpets with 3 valves. There is a message there....

The holey trumpet is not natural. Holes are modern, making their debut around 1958. The natural trumpet only has a hole for the mouthpiece and on the bell! Bob Barclay has proposed calling the modern holey trumpet a "baroque" trumpet.

4. gsmonks

gsmonks Piano User

Waah. That's a little off the beaten path for me, I'm afraid.

I've just ordered (yet another) low trumpet, with an eye (make that an ear) to recording a trumpet 4-tet. Not the usual 4 trumpets in C or Bb, but SATB (someone ate the biscuits). I was using a Bach 187f for the tenor parts, but want to use a relic on all parts. The Bach plays perfectly in tune, so it'd stick out like a sore thumb.

I'll be preying upon members of one of our provincial brass bands for victims to perform 3 of the parts.

Rumour has it they'll do pretty much anything for beer and pizza.

5. gsmonks

gsmonks Piano User

So . . . you're saying that poking random holes in things isn't natural?

"If it's Baroque, don't fix it."

The cornetto has the same number of holes as a tin flute.

So holes were invented in 1958. But wouldn't they have occurred naturally in old horns?

6. gunshowtickets

gunshowtickets Forte User

Mar 11, 2015
    Tidewater, VA
    I have contemplated building my own.

7. Lukarino

Lukarino Pianissimo User

Dec 8, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    My private instructor went on sabbatical from his university job to build one.
    It looks pretty cool.

8. gsmonks

gsmonks Piano User

You know . . . I have a little workshop where I work on old horns, and have the tools to poke holes in things, and I've thought of taking old natural trumpets and having a little fun with them. But where exactly do you put the holes? Or get information on where to place the drill? Or find out how big to make the holes? Plus you have to make little seats to reinforce the holes and place your fingers, as they become meat-clappers.

9. gunshowtickets

gunshowtickets Forte User

Mar 11, 2015
    Tidewater, VA
    I was thinking buying some plumbing and soldering some stuff together, then making a couple of bells with threaded couplers in different shapes. Find a junker horn to donate a leadpipe or at least the receiver.

A few people here have them and could send you the measurements, it's been done here recently.

10. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Holes are a big problem for me. I've been trying to make a "natural" trumpet and have spent a lot of time, money and effort getting all of the tools and components save one category - holes. No matter how hard I look, I just can't find any anywhere.