The wimpy modern "trumpet" vs the mighty contra-alto

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by gsmonks, Mar 8, 2016.

1. gsmonks

gsmonks Piano User

Those are excellent point RE recording and rehearsals, and very true. The orchestras that use them most effectively tend to be those using period everything.

There is also the matter of the old orchestras vs the new. The old players were professional players, and, sad to say, most of us playing in modern orchestras are weekend warriors by comparison. It's like the difference between getting the occasional gig playing with a blues band vs the workout the guys get playing in the Mnozil brass organisation.

In a perfect world, we'd all be getting paid work six days a week.

2. gsmonks

gsmonks Piano User

May I ask what equipment you were using?

There's a huge difference in F trumpets. My go-to horn is a Stowasser (a real one, not a knock-off). Like all F's, it's a challenge to play, but it plays like butter in the Franck. But- I had to go through 12 or 13 horns before I landed it. No kidding. My Odina is a good player, too.

Before you ask, I'm not married, and I have no life. That's how I can afford to spend all my money on horns.

3. jimc

jimc Mezzo Piano User

May 21, 2009
    Spokane, WA USA
    The full story is at Franck Symphony in D Minor but the short answer is that for the performance I used a cut-down Couesnon Renault C trumpet, which I have since sold and replaced with a Benge. I later acquired a cheap rotary F marked Lipa Nymburk that I tried on the Franck one evening for fun. My guess is that there are not worse horns than this one, excepting lamp kits made in India.

tobylou8 likes this.
  4. gsmonks

gsmonks Piano User

So . . . at a guess, I'd say you've never tried a quality F contra-alto? :^)

My advice is, if you chance to see an old Stowasser on eBay (a real one, not a knock-off, like the bazillions of "Stradivarius" violins floating around out there), snag it. Or an Odina.