The worst condition you've played in...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Hoghorn, Jan 11, 2009.

1. brem

brem Mezzo Forte User

Sep 13, 2007
    Quebec City, QC, Canada
    Last year, we brought my former band back together (a la Blues Brothers) and were playing for a private party, on a plain, under a tent. During the evening, it started to rain. Of course, we were all happy they thought of having the show under a tent. However, it rained so hard that the soil could not absorb all the water, so eventually, gradually, the ground on which the tent was erected was flooded. That, on top of the fact that to get to our van, we had to run under the pouring rain, which made us completely soaked. So we pretty much played with the dry clothes we could find.

At the end of the evening, to get back to the road, we had to go through muddy patches, some cars got stuck and we had to push them... soiling ourselves in the process.

It was fun, then it was hell, then we laughed. So it was the worst gig ever, yet, we'll forever talk about it!

2. ccNochops

ccNochops Piano User

Sep 30, 2006
    White Marsh, VA
    March 75, 2nd MAW Marine Band, Change of Command, tarmac at Glenview Naval Air Station, Chicago........25 degrees, snowing, blowing....frozen everything. Played "Stars Forever", piccolo player froze to death before we got to the "& Stripes" part......... ROFL

3. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    The last Saturday in November 1949-1954 The Santa Claus Parade in Grand Rapids, Mi. Every year it was cold with heavy snow, windy, and Monroe Ave. scraped and salted to 'help' remove the ice. Can you imagine the frozen valves, mouthpieces stuck to lips, clarinet and sax reeds stuck to the mouthpieces, feet soaked with sub freezing salt water, and those of us in the wool band uniformas had it lucky. Our majorettes with their very abreviated uniforms actually turned blue by the end of that twelve block parade.

Oh the joy of playing in a high school marching band.

OLDLOU>>

Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
  4. Hoghorn

Hoghorn Pianissimo User

Dec 30, 2008
    Manitowoc Wi.
    I did a tour in Canada a few years ago, This one stage was facing the sun, it was HOT out, The stage had a clam-shell cover so no wind, the stage was black and we did a 70 minute set in 115 Deg F. with the sun hitting us in the face. The band before us had the guitar player pass out to deydration at the end of their show, (Whimpy guitar players !! LOL ) We drank water through the whole thing !

Hoghorn

5. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Played a Civil War ball at Chicamauga about 10 years ago. It hadn't rained in weeks, and the ground was 2" deep in fine powder dust. The ball was in a big tent, and the dust stirred up by all the hoop skirts was terrible. Not only couldn't you see more than a few feet in front of you, but you couldn't breathe and you had to keep wiping dust off the music to see it.

We called it "Chokamauga"...:shock:

Or maybe the time we played on a big riverboat cruising up the Tennessee. It was the day after the 9-11 attacks, and our getting-off point, a dam, had become a secured area. We weren't allowed get off, and our rides couldn't pick us up. We were stuck on board until the Captain could arrange a transfer to a tugboat in a lake farther upstream.

The tug arrived about 2:00 AM, and we had to don life jackets and climb down a long extension ladder that the crew had lashed to the side of the riverboat, to the bobbing tug in the darkness below, instruments in hand. The tug put us ashore in a dark industrial area, and we had to walk out to the highway, determine where we were, and call our rides. A fun time was had by all...:D

6. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    I was playing with a Mexican band in Chicago in the 70's. We did a dance on the south side at a place calle the Aquarius Ballroom. A little into the gig a gang war broke out on the floor, shots fired and the whole thing. My military training kicked in and I hit the deck and low-crawled off the stage (I also pulled one of my bandmates, who was standing there gawking, to floor.)

7. Nerf

Nerf Piano User

Dec 7, 2008
    Virginia Beach, VA
    First one...

I was a freshman in HS. My band was invited to march the McDonald's Charity Thanksgiving Day parade in Chicago. Being from the DEEP SOUTH where it doesn't get all that cold very often none of us really had a clue as to just how cold it can get in Chicago. So, off we went on this marathon trip. The 1st night on the road we stopped at this MOTEL (did I mention we marched around 250 people?!) & completely trashed it! The next morning our band director threatened to turn us all around & head home. That didn't happen because we straightened our act up. Fast forward to the day of the parade. The HIGH for the day was 25 degrees Fahrenheit!! The was also "hurricane force gusts" in the forecast for the ENTIRE DAY!!! :shock: We marched anyway...straight up Michigan Ave into a gale!! None of us had on enough clothes! My hands were "frozen" around my trumpet by the time we finished the parade. I couldn't even play. I just held my horn up to my face, but didn't let the MP touch my lips at all!!

Second one...

I was in college playing in the "horn line" (there was only me & my best friend playing trombone...hardly a "horn line") in a rock band. We did a mix of stuff. Nothing really worth writing home about. We had the one bar we played in that was a HOLE IN THE WALL!!! Our 1st gig there I wasn't even old enough to VOTE much less get in the door legally!! Anyway, we played there a few times. Always for the cover charge at the door. One time in particular the "door man" knew all the girls that were coming in from the local college. (not mine, though) We did the whole 4 hour show & when we went to get our money from the bartender/owner he handed our drummer $13. :shock: We had to split $13 5 ways!!! After that night they didn't have "live music" for about a year because we made it a point to tell all the guys we knew (well...mostly the drummer, bass & guitar player knew) to NOT play there because your band would get ripped off! I think we eventually ended up playing there maybe one more time....but for a percentage of the bar money on top of the cover charge!! :cool:

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    "Killer" big band with weapons. That is kind of funny - in a sick sort of way!

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Vivaldi Gloria and Bach Magnificat on the natural trumpet with pneumonia. Went to the hospital right after the gig. Vicks Formula44, aspirin and nose drops kept me in a functional state for the two hours in question. Pretty stupid if you ask me but the conductor is a friend for life!

10. Wlfgng

Wlfgng Piano User

Aug 15, 2008
    Canada
    Hungover.....sitting in front of an "intese percusionist" and between a piccolo and loud tenor horn. I sowre I would never drink again.........should have sworn harder.