The worst condition you've played in...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Hoghorn, Jan 11, 2009.

1. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    I had a busted lip that would not stop bleeding. I had been playing too much for far too long and my lower lip final said that is it I quite and it split right inthe middle top to bottom. I played the concert that night constantly going through paper towels and hankies. It took like two weeks to heal up enough that you could not tell it was injured and another two weeks before I could play onit with out pain. Total time to heal from the time it happened until I was back at 100% was like 6 weeks. It sucked. In fact not only was I playing way too much but I was tutoring other students to replace me so that wne I left they could step in to my spot. So on top of regular practice and playing I was tutoring 2-3 hours out of the day and I was also getting ready for try outs at my new school even though I had already won a partial scholarship I wanted to be at my best so I was putting in way to much practice time. It was just too much.

If you want scarry I was once forced to fly hung over and with out much sleep. I had been parting for two solid days then I went to bed and slept about 3-4 hours. My phone rang and after three other guys calling in sick it was my time to make a run to deliver and pick up mail for Fed-Ex. I was still in college at the time and the guy running the show was also the main flight instructor at the college. I told him I was not scheduled to fly for two more day's and was hungover and tired. He told me to get my but out tot ht air port. He had two pot's of coffee already made just how I liked it and told me to drink them fast because I did not have time to waste. When I asked about flying in my condition he said to me "Welcome to commerical aviation!!!" he walked out the room laughing. That day alone I stoped at about 10 diferent small airports to pick up the mail and drop it all off at their processing center. The fog was so thick I could have sliced it into cake and served it with tea or coffee! The laser's where reading 0/0 so even the duck's were not flying that day......That should scare everyone!!! No I have never done anything that stupid before or since. I felt pressured because my college proffessor was also my boss and I did not feel like I could say no! I made sure to avoid putting myself in that postion ever again!

2. bkonstans1

bkonstans1 Mezzo Piano User

Nov 19, 2007
    Aurora, IL
    I've had some pretty bad marching band gigs. Anything from 100 degrees+ to less than 20. Welcome to Chicago :roll:

3. willbarber

willbarber Piano User

Nov 22, 2008
    Medina, NY
    Yeah, marching band's a killer.
    90+ while wearing wool uniforms in the spring, people passing out.
    30 degrees and below in the fall, wearing nothing but under armour, and uniforms, and sometimes not even under armour, ears frozen, can't feel your finger, because you're only wearing little cloth gloves that are about as insulating as nothing at all.

And we had practice during a blizzard, we did a final runthrough after an hour and a half, then ran inside for hot cocoa with an inch of snow on our horns.

That's what you get for marching in NY...

4. oneleggimp

oneleggimp New Friend

Thanksgiving Parade in Detroit 1960 (I think). I played in the Cass Technical High School marching band.

1. twenty degrees F and enough wind, they didn't fly the baloons that day (nasty wind chill).
    2. Wool band uniforms that had double breasted coats with just a white shirt and a tie underneath. Woolen heavy undershirts used to be grey and showed through the white shirt - frowned upon by Dr. Harry Begian who was then band director at Cass (later at Michigan State University and then at University of Illinois). Thus cold - especially with the wind chill
    3. Behind the Detroit Police Mounted Unit. Horses did their thing and we were supposed to march straight ahead with no deviation for the horse dung.

Probably my worst condition I've played in

Regards,

Ernie

5. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    Let's see:

-marching band in school in Florida - wool uniforms and 90+ for the Thanksgiving day parade, not to mention Festival of States in April.

-New Year's Eve 1998. I played four gigs with a Soukous band in one night: a set at First Night, Second set at a rock club, Third set at another rock club, then a full gig (4 sets) at a Jamaican restaurant/nightclub until about 5:30 in the morning. By the halfway point of the last one, my torso was cramping from muscle strain (3 drummers, all loud, eletric rhythm section, no mikes for the horns...). To prepare for the final set i relaxed in a corner and drank a FLOWER VASE of Cuervo Gold and orange juice to try to get my muscles to relax...ha ha..... I could hardly walk the next day. I was 40 at the time.

bigtiny

6. John Dover

John Dover New Friend

Jan 13, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Back in the summer of 1994 I was playing with a small rock band out of Dallas. We played a gig on the border of Texas and Louisiana. The establishment was only about 20 feet wide and 100 feet long, smokey, no airconditioning and it was a solid 100 degrees at 10 at night.

Also no AC on the ride back. Never needed a shower more in my whole life than after that gig.

John

7. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    Don't you hate those!?!?!?? That's when you start getting $100 bar tabs for beer but you don't even get buzzed because you're sweating it out so fast =:-)

bigtiny

8. TrumpetDude70

TrumpetDude70 New Friend

OK, one from the UK......

I was playing an outside gig with my Soul Band last August so should have been nice weather. It was blowing a gale and the rain was horizontal when we went on stage. This was a festival type gig and we were only one of about 12 bands playing on two alternate stages.

Anyway, about 5 mins into our set, the sound guys had to take down the second stage as it was moving backwards towards their gear at an alarming rate.

We had our mic stands taped to the floor but both mine and the trombone players blew over more than once, didn't really matter, the audience was at the other side of the field sheltering in the beer tent and couldn't hear us anyway!!!

Once we'd finished, they cancelled the rest of the gig... cost them lots of money, but at least we got paid.....

9. gord4862

gord4862 New Friend

Nov 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Conditions weren't that bad, but the circumstances were.
    Playing taps at funerals for Marines killed in Vietnam back in 1970.
    I was on active duty with the 4th Marine Air Wing Drum & Bugle Team,
    Glenview, Ill.
    Sempre Fi

10. samdaman

samdaman Pianissimo User

Jun 15, 2006
    Baltimore, MD
    YouTube - Penn State vs. Michigan State-11/22/08- Alma Mater

Coming out of the tunnel it looked like a snow globe. Our trombones had to mix Listerine with their slide lube so it wouldn't freeze on them. One the return from the stadium my valves froze open. After getting back there was a spit icicle hanging from my spit valve. It was cold, but totally worth it! The temperature was somewhere between 4-9.