The worst condition you've played in...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Hoghorn, Jan 11, 2009.

1. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    Does lip buzzing count? If so, then I win with my car wreck. Broke ever bone in my body. In full body cast for half a year, rehab for another year. Lipp buzzed throughout rehab... HAHA.

2. smurf351

smurf351 Mezzo Forte User

Jun 23, 2007
    A Christmas lights parade with my brass quintet about a month ago, it was around 25-30F, but it was snowing really bad with a 10+mph wind. We couldn't stop playing for more than 5 sec or our valves would freeze. When we got done I had almost 1/2" of snow caked on the side of my face and head.

It may have been miserable weather, but I had a ball and would do it again next week if asked.

...another one occurred to me was the Messiah concert last year, I played 1st part including "The Trumpet Shall Sound", I also had a severe migraine. I was able to play, but the moment I stopped for a rest or a breath or anything my head felt like it was going to explode.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2009
  3. soloft

soloft New Friend

Jan 14, 2009
    Texas
    My senior year of high school, we had to play for the "Meet the Rebels" where the football team line-up is announced to the school and the city. It was at the local stadium, almost freezing, and the wind was so bad it was literally raining sideways! To top it all off, our crazy band director made us wear our band t-shirts and these khaki shorts that are about 5 inches above the knee.
    A close second was in my sophomore year of high school. We were playing for a football game in Abilene, TX, and it was so hot in our uniforms and on the field that the soles of people's shoes melted off. One saxophone played actually had the sole of his shoe melt onto the field!