The worth of a Selmer

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by Gsteen44, Dec 23, 2016.

1. Gsteen44

Gsteen44 New Friend

Dec 23, 2016
    Hi, I'm wondering how much my selmer trumpet is worth? The serial number is, 53451 I had it in storage for a few months and the place had a leak in sprinkler system so I am trying to get an estimate for insurance purposes

2. Gsteen44

Gsteen44 New Friend

Dec 23, 2016
    It is in good condition it was recorked in 2001 and had no damage physically to the instrument with some finish issues but nothing major just the usual wear and tear around the holding positions. Interesting note, the first and third keys are offset from the middle causing an ergonomic feel.

3. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    New Zealand
    Looks like a Come & Go No.21 for this year ROFL

Anyway, we can't help you with model or pictures. Even god cannot help you without pictures.

4. Efig

Efig Piano User

Sep 29, 2016
    Long Island
    Yeah, show some pictures please, there are tons of members here who could tell you more about your horn but without photos, you're getting nowhere.

5. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Hi Gsteen44,

The horn you are describing sounds like a Selmer Radial trumpet. Radial trumpets are a desired horn.
    On the receiver, where the mouthpiece goes in, is there a Number?

6. Peter McNeill

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
  7. Peter McNeill

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
  8. Franklin D

Franklin D Forte User

May 23, 2009
    The Netherlands
    deleted

9. Peter McNeill

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Franklin D,
    You don't see it, as you don't know what he is describing, and you obviously don't recognise the Selmer Radial. The 1st and 3rd inclined ergonomic, is the giveaway in the description.
    Secondly, it is none of my business, I am just helping the new member as much as I can. I am sure a few trumpets got wet in Katrina (New Orleans residents forgive me for the revival of the bad day), but sewerage, stormwater, chemicals and waste all come as stormwater, and in some cases through the ceiling. As I said, not my business to guess or judge.

10. Peter McNeill

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    BTW The number on the receiver will tell us the bore size of the radial, and that has an affect on the desirability, and value.

If you note it was in storage, there may have been any number of things in the viscinity of the horn, Above, below, and accompanying storage lockers, or roller door lockers. As I said, it is between the OP and his insurance, MYOB is a good motto. A photo would help, but the receiver is the main thing, and whether a Bb or C, He should have enough info to go search, I'd be interested in his feedback on the receiver.