These young kids play so well for their age!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by _TrumpeT_, Sep 25, 2006.

1. _TrumpeT_

_TrumpeT_ Piano User

Apr 26, 2006
  2. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    Did you notice that most of the kids had their music memorised and kept
    their eyes on the director, watching the director???? what a concept. Dave

3. Foxytrpt

Foxytrpt Pianissimo User

Sep 11, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2006
  4. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    I spent a week in Japan with a group of American Music Educators in 1995. I heard several groups that play like the ones in the video. I also saw many students who were very unhappy young people. Do I admire the talent of these young people? You bet I do! Do I think they are wonderful players? You bet I do! Would I want my own child in a school that puts out Japanese musicians like these? NO WAY.

I saw children that basically had no life. EVERYTHING they did was based upon academics and music. They went to school 8-9 hours a day, practiced several hours more, and then attended rehearsals until bedtime.

The school I was assigned to observe was Fukuoka Technical University High School. The Junior High band was as good a 95% of the top high school bands in America. The students there were amazing young people, but responded more like robots than humans.

The point I'm making is that the sounds are wonderful, but at what expense?

5. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    F-trpt....who gives a flaming hootie??????

_TrumpeT_ posted a good clip, it was not there for who can top this.

Bad form.

-cw-

Last edited: Sep 25, 2006
  6. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    Sorry if my reply above sounded negative -- YES, I do admire these kids. I guess I should add, if THEY want to be there then it's fine with me. I just hate seeing kids lose their childhoods because they have special talents. The same goes for many kids who are gifted athletes.

7. Foxytrpt

Foxytrpt Pianissimo User

Sep 11, 2006

Very true, it's not about topping anybody off. I agree. But they did it anyways.

8. Liad Bar-EL

Liad Bar-EL Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Jerusalem, Israel
    A few points on this one:

1. No doubt it is amazing that they could be so disciplined and trained at such a young age.

2. I wonder if they have time to do their homework in other studies.

3. I wonder if they have time to be "kids".

4. An 8 member trumpet section maybe does well to spell off the others for maintaining the section.

5. Keeping time with the trumpet bobbing up and down may be good for the conductor to know if the beat is being kept; however, IMO one may as well be "marching" as he is playing…..not great for the chops.

6. Lastly, my only real criticism is that it left me cold…………..no feeling of what they were playing…..only a feeling of "exercising" in music but what does one expect from Kids.

Liad Bar-EL

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    This is getting to be almost like the posts about which trumpet is best.
    Can we just get some great examples of inspired young playing here?
    Of course beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I am sure that the cultural significance of succeeding(in Japan) makes for some very proud teachers, parents AND students. When we compare them out of context, we do the kids injustice by turning the issue into adult intellectuality.
    I enjoy what the kids do, even if it is not perfect. 3 of my 4 kids are proficient on their respective instruments although none could be termed Virtuoso. They are having a good time however!

10. Liad Bar-EL

Liad Bar-EL Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Jerusalem, Israel
    That's what it's about......having a good time. If the kids don't enjoy it, then it becomes like torture and thus it sounds like it also. If they can develop that joy into their music then they have won the art of playing music for technique will come later. If they are in it for technique, then.....................what can I say? We already have so many technicians in the world of music already that I get tired listening to them.

Liad Bar-EL