They make fake trumpets too now?!?!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by CaptainAddy, Apr 19, 2011.

1. tomcat

tomcat Pianissimo User

Dec 19, 2007
    You mean the finger hook attachment where your thumb goes? If so, those can easily be added as an add on and many players usually do.

This could be a custom Bach. But who knows. Hard to tell from pictures.

2. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Looks like a 1970's era Strad that's had most of the "Vincent Bach" engraving buffed off the bell. The serial number looks bogus - wrong number for the characteristics of the horn and very sloppy. A lyre holder is an option from the factory - I've seen other Strads with them, and my Strad cornet came with one. Compare it to my '76 below (I have a 3rd slide water key and no lyre holder, though). Same old-style pinky ring, same bracing, same location for the bore size/serial number, same slide rings, same 3rd slide stop direction, etc.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  3. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    The Bell is Bach Strad, the Lyre holder is an easy addition, I have a 43 with one in the same position on the 3rd slide. The actual bracing looks legit, valve caps from what I can see look legit. There appears to be a V under the Stradivarius, so tend to agree it has been only lightly engraved, or buffed out in that area. The only strange item I see is the numbers on the valve block. Very sloppy and don't line up, the 3rd valve slide stopper is in the reverse position for an early Bach strad, but they are easily turned around, and for good reason. The earlier stopper was in a bad position, where it could be easily knocked forward from fingers around the valve block. I would say 50:50.

So perhaps a horn that is made from 2 horns... In the end it is how it plays that matters.

4. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    I say if somebody's generally concerned about this Ebay posting, they should question/call out the seller. If it is a lie/fake...shame on the seller. If it's not, then all the better for any potential buyers!

Kujo

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    It does not look like a horn out of the 40's. It looks like a standard 1970s Strad that has been worked over. The numbers not lining up is not unusual. My C from the mid 70's has a similar issue. I do suspect Frankenhorn though. I wouldn't spend $800 on it unless I played it and REALLY liked it.

6. JDay

JDay Pianissimo User

Nov 20, 2007
    Wenatchee, WA
  7. Conntribution

Conntribution Fortissimo User

Dec 25, 2010
    Lloyd Harbor NY.
    The only I can add regarding early Bachs is some info I got from a very old gentleman who knew Vincent Bach and also worked with Dominic Calicchio for awhile.

He stated that Bach, as well as Muck, for that matter all got their valve blocks from Holton.

I don't vouch for the truth of it, just what the fellow has told me, and indeed, some of his early New York Bachs {he has 4}have some mighty Holton-like valve casings.

8. WindyCity13

WindyCity13 New Friend

Dec 1, 2010
    Chicago
    Well if you read the description it says he bought it in Argentina, which puts me to believe that it may not be real. Also it looks as if it has a fixed third valve ring, but a screw for an adjustable one.