They scowl at my growl..........

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by crowmadic, Oct 18, 2009.

1. crowmadic

crowmadic Mezzo Piano User

Oct 3, 2006
    I'm re-naming this Thread: "They Scowl at my Growl, and Snicker at my Flutter". Thanks to brekelefuw I can edit this thread with the proper terminology. I can roll my R's when I speak Spanish, but I can't get a good Flutter Tonguing on the horn. I can start a flutter but can't sustain it. I need all the suggestions, tricks, technique, method, and whatever you can offer to help me get a good sustainable Flutter. Include your Growling technique too if you will. Do you Growl something like a Buddist monk, or to sing/speak something that sounds like vocalizing without moving your lips?

thanks........... crow

Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
  2. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Growls are done by singing into the horn or growling. You don't use your tongue to do them. Rolling your tongue is a different technique called flutter tonguing.

3. crowmadic

Oct 3, 2006
    brecdelefuw,
    Thanks. Can you give some specific examples of what you do when you GROWL, and when you FLUTTER TONGUE. It's the Flutter Tongue I had most in mind, but I'd like at least one example of something you sing to get the Growl.

thanks.......... crow

SEE ORIGINAL THREAD, NOW CORRECTED..........

Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
  4. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    When I growl, I sing a note that isn't the note I am playing. Check out players like Clark Terry, Cootie Williams, Snooky Young and Roy Eldridge for examples. If you listen closely you can sometimes hear them vocalising when they growl.

It's kind of hard to describe flutter tonguing, but I guess the best way to describe it is that I make the back of my tongue hard and the front floppy. The tip of my tongue is curled up a bit so it flaps as the air passes over my tongue and out of my mouth.

Both these techniques are best learned by listening and experimentation.

5. crowmadic

Oct 3, 2006
    brekelefuw,
    That gives me something to work with. Thanks............. crow

6. Hines

Hines New Friend

Nov 3, 2009
    Madison, AL
    This is interesting, because I have never heard of the growl. I've been playing for about 6 years, and am just now beginning to use flutter tonguing in actual music, but I would like to try growling. I'm going to try to find some audio of it and take Brekelefuw's advice. thanks!

7. a marching trumpet

a marching trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Well, whenever I flutter, initially it sounded really short and machine gun soundinsh because I did it really far up in the mouth close to the teeth, over time I do it in the very back and it sounds pretty cool, all I need is a plunger now haha:play:

8. Bruin

Bruin Pianissimo User

Mar 21, 2008
    L.A.
    Take a look at this re: "growling" ...

YouTube - Marsalis on Music

9. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    What a great video - lots of great effects to try. And, a very enjoyable session with a master showing the next generation how things are done.

Thanks.

10. SFPat

SFPat Pianissimo User

Sep 20, 2009
    Houston
    Since I'm no expert I have to ask what kind of trumpet / mp combo is Marsalis playing with?