Thicker valve oil

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by alant, Oct 2, 2011.

1. alant

alant Pianissimo User

Aug 18, 2009
    Rochdale UK
    As rule of thumb would it be the case that you would use the thickest valve oil without affecting the performance of your valves? also what is the the thickest valve oil available?

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The rule of thumb is that everyone has their own thumb.

I only know people who want fast oil. That requires the brand of oil to get along with your valves and body chemistry. Like anything else in this world, those who play by the numbers usually end up being left out.

Hetman has a complete range of thin to thick oils. Google can be your friend, but I'll help you:

Hetman Lubricants

3. simonstl

simonstl Pianissimo User

Nov 25, 2008
    Dryden/Ithaca, NY
    What Rowuk said. I think everyone has their own thumb and their own trumpet.

On my well-aged TR300, I found that using lighter oils gave me fast response, but only for a little while - I was oiling constantly. Switching to Hetman #2 made things better, but Hetman #3 (on the advice of the music store) was perfect. It was a little bit slower, true, but it felt right and stayed right.

Good luck!

4. tpsiebs

tpsiebs Piano User

Feb 6, 2010
    Randolph, New Jersey
    I have used Hetman and liked it well enough. Someone at Dillon put me onto the Yamaha synthetic which is very nice also. There are various viscosities available and they can be used with regular valve oil if needed.

5. Darthsunshine

Darthsunshine Mezzo Forte User

Jul 19, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Don't have much to add to the wisdom stated above, except that I find Yamaha synthetic works well on my vintage horns.

6. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    I've used Hetman#3 on my horns for some time and have had good results. They are all old with the valves in various conditions. Before that, I would mix 3-1 oil with regular valve oil and that worked well, also.

7. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    I'm curious WHY you want a thick oil?

Tom

8. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    If I were to gander a guess... thicker oil to compensate for the wear of the valves .... I believe Hetmans thickest oil is appropriately named " Classic"

9. alant

alant Pianissimo User

Aug 18, 2009
    Rochdale UK
    Tom i am wondering if there is a trade off to be made between ensuring the valve oil offers the best regarding valve compression and speed of the valves, in older horns is there a point where a compromise has to be made. As an extreme you could get fantastic compression and very slow valves? Rowuk commented in another thread that in most cases air leakage from valves is minimal and would not unduly affect the performance of the horn.

10. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Ah! As long as the the valves are not super loose, any oil will do for that. You can try either the Hetman or Yamaha graded oils from thin to thick and see if it matters on your horn. The air pressure in a trumpet is indeed pretty low. Most of the time there is no need for anything exotic.

Tom