Thin lacquer coating on patina finish?

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by jrm6012, Nov 6, 2010.

1. jrm6012

jrm6012 New Friend

Nov 3, 2010
    I recently had my trumpet finished professionally with a nice uniform patina. My question is would it hurt or help if I added just a light lacquer finish to get it from getting messed up? Also if I dont apply lacquer and I able to submerge the horn for proper cleaning or will soaking in water remove the patina?

2. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    You lost me. How do you have a horn professionally fininhed in patina? Patina is the result of natural aging-or so I thought. I have never had washing the horn harm the patina look.

3. jrm6012

jrm6012 New Friend

Nov 3, 2010
    You can order chemicals to apply patina. Many artist apply patina to metal art.

4. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    This is true. But, in the end the chemicals simply speed up the process that normally takes time and also allow the patina to be more uniform in appearance rather than the 'splotchy' look that often happens naturally due to the handling of the brass over time.

Washing won't remove the patina. However, without a protective coating such as lacquer the patina will continue to darken over time. It just depends on how dark you want it to be. You can put a protective clearcoat - such as lacquer - on it but unless you are a pro, it may well ruin the look if it winds up being uneven, or develops runs or ripples in it. I wouldn't try that for your first attempt at applying lacquer. Try an old brass lamp for practice first.

5. BRSousa

BRSousa New Friend

Nov 27, 2010
    Something that should be noted before you attempt to lacquer your own horn.

If you have a patina on your horn, and it isn't perfectly clean before you lacquer it the lacquer may not stick. Also, if you have never lacquered a whole Trumpet before you are likely to get lacquer blobs and runs. If you use a lacquer with a tint, you are likely to get an uneven coating in the coloring.

In short, if you are considering getting your horn lacquered, have it done professionally and save yourself the trouble. If you are spraying over a patina, it might be done on the cheap because there shouldn't be any polishing involved.

Just my opinion...I could be wrong.