Thing Of Beauty

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by francolinni, Mar 4, 2008.

1. francolinni

francolinni New Friend

Dec 14, 2007
    Philly
    Evening All: I just did my routine look-see of Ebay,you know just in case.... My God, just check out the 50'ish Olds Mendez in silver plate w/gold trim. Does anybody out there own a horn such as this one? I'm thinking about gettin a real job now!! Maybe old el smoko should get a look at what "beautiful" really means and stop with the 5 figure pricetags:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: Too poor for this baby,but I be in dreamo phase for a little while.
    Franco

2. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    I have to disagree, I don't like to see rare vintage horns "pimped out" so they look nothing like the original. Those horns are ruined forever in my opinion.I prefer to have them restored as they were originally, if at all. I guess it is a holdover from my old car collecting days, just don't like to see things that are already beautiful pieces of art turned into something else. Do it to a Bundy, or an ambassador, but leave the pro horns alone for the next generation to experience as they were, it is likely they will never make them as good again. My 2 cents.[​IMG]

3. EdMann

EdMann Mezzo Forte User

Sep 20, 2007
    Los Angeles
  4. Eeviac

Eeviac Piano User

Wasn't that same one on here a bit earlier, maybe a month or two ago?

Lots of funny things going on on Ebay....

5. A.N.A. Mendez

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
  6. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Here's mine - still in original lacquer, optional gold brass bell, "Stradivarius Deluxe" engraving. Not a classic yet, but 15 years old and counting.....

[​IMG]

A.N.A Mendez, don't you agree that the lacquered Olds Recordings were probably the most beautiful trumpets ever built? Old school, maybe, but I don't think anyone's topped them in the looks department yet.:cool:

7. A.N.A. Mendez

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    They are maybe the best looking, best playing factory horns ever made. They play as good as they look! Of course I'm talking bigger output here, not smaller more handmade horns such as the Super Recording model (or the super recording cornet which is also an amazing piece of artwork) made prior to these and in much smaller numbers. By the way......Nice cornet! How about that more "close" feeling you get with a cornet VS trumpet? Cool? I need to be in the mood for that, kinda like a flugel moment....

8. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    My default is the cornet mood. I have to get in a different mood to play trumpet. I've got a fever and the only cure is more cornet....:lol:

9. Eeviac

Eeviac Piano User

Dale that is a BEAUTIFUL cornet! Cornet is a cool instrument.

10. godchaser

godchaser Banned

Jun 17, 2007

The age old argument there, A.N.A. -I agree.. i think. :) And i'm not a purest.

Seems like restoring the horn to Original parts, isn't quite enough though? If it's brought back to factory condition, yet tweaked to make for'a better playing and efficent horn. -That can't be the same driving experience of an Original, despite the sound being the same? I dunno?

Power steering's great, but if its not original to the horn, then we can't actually appreciate the playing experience of that era, that'd be timeless otherwise? ..If that's accurate of things? If so, i think what your saying's right- and this coming from a guy that thinks it'd be some real good fun to stuff a 429 in a Vette, and park it amongst the Purebreds at the show. :)

-