Thing Of Beauty

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by francolinni, Mar 4, 2008.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
    I think there is always a temptation to optimize a horn that you have while the model is current. Once it gets 20-30 years old, the longing for the original condition (and the maximum value) become more important. I am sure that an overhaul by and excellent technician would involve all of the "tweaking things" anyway. That could be replating and aligning the valves, unsoldering and resoldering to relieve tension, checking the bore for blobs of solder or other obstructions and an overall cosmetic job. When finished, a properly restored trumpet is a masterpiece in its own right, perhaps better than new! In any case, a joy to the owner and hopefully an often played example that the newest is not necessarily the bestest.

2. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

As a collector,(?) I agree that an as new in all original condition 'should' fetch more in the marketplace than a souped up and pimped out horn. In my case, even though I have some very fine and collectable old horns I intend to just use them in their as is condition. To spend large sums on making any of these horns more beautiful would be simply throwing money away. At my age I am required to give thought to how much my wife will be able to get out of the horns upon my demise. The money spent on making them pretty will never be returned in full. I recently got an object lesson on this subject. I had the valves on one of the most beautiful trumpets ever made,( York Master MOdel ),rebuilt, which cost me $255.00. The plating started to peel off from the copper underplate within the first day. That was a total waste of money that my wife will ultimately have need of. I don't intend to ever pull a trick like that again.

OLDLOU>>