Things have been going well

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by B15M, Sep 15, 2010.

1. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    A lot of posts on here are asking for advice or how to fix a problem so, I thought I would post something positive.

My playing is better than it ever has been and I've had a lot of gigs lately and have been getting complements on my playing and teaching.

I couldn't ask for more.

Alex_C likes this.
  2. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    COOL!

I'm progressing too.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    So tell us what happened. New horn? New mouthpiece? New Car? New House? New Wife? New job?, Kids grown up and left the house? Kids misbehaved and thrown out of the house? Did you stop reading my posts here?

4. chet fan

chet fan Piano User

Jul 3, 2009
    Same here!!! Awesome!

I was doing a lot of breath support exersises, and a lot of buzzing. Now I am focusing on strenghtening the corners of my lips (lip slurs on all 7 valve positions)

In the last 5 months (since I got some harsh bashing here) I improved massively, and I am still improving, my endurance went up , and my volume also (I was very quiet before -due to lack of air support) Now the air support is here and it is fantastic.

I am also never losing any time. I buzz my MPC while driving the car, and I am doing tika taka practice for double tongue while I am walking, also I am constantly breathing from diaphragma. So even when I am not practicing I am practicing

Last edited: Sep 16, 2010
  5. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    After what seemed like a very long dry spell in my gigging (because I moved out of province for two years and people didn't know I came back) I am now so busy with gigs and work that I am exhausted. It feels great to be playing so much. I have 10+ gigs this month, a recording session and another 10 or so gigs in October, many gigs in November, as well as a week long tour around eastern Canada with a band I play in that just got signed to a small record label.
    I am also working on starting up a big band, so I am writing and arranging charts again, which I took a break from because work usually leaves me too tired to concentrate.
    It feels great to really have 'the music bug' after a period where I just wasn't doing much to make myself a better player.

6. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    If I had to tie it to something, I would say less work in my day job gives me more time to practice.

7. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    Here is a section of an email I received from a parent:

You are doing great with him with the Haydn, Arban, etc. I am SO impressed by the fact that you are teaching him so much musicianship not just "how to play the pieces" - ! I guess you two had talked about his school audition and asking for the bigger room, etc (that has bothered him since Freshman year!) I think you are helping him develop as an overall musician in so many ways - and, since he started some later than many of his classmates, I think you are helping him to get over a slight sense of inferiority. There's a certain bank of knowledge that comes with... sheer mileage, the years one has played - and it seems to me as if you are helping him to feel "caught up."

8. rettepnoj

rettepnoj Fortissimo User

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    Nice:-)

9. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    Nice to read a positive self-affirming post. Congratulations and use that positive energy to grow as much as possible before the next plateau. Your positive comment inspires me to keep advancing.

10. Mark B

Mark B Pianissimo User

Aug 20, 2010
    Redlands, CA
    I have to say things are going well for me, too. My teacher proclaimed during my third lesson that my chops are definitely coming back. I feel it, too. My endurance is better and my breathing is coming back. This has been a great experience and helped me through what has otherwise been a rough month. Also... Coming across this board and having all this wealth of knowledge around me has meant a lot to me. Thanks to all of you for adding to the excitement and encouragement to dive right back into playing. Thanks also to my new "old" friend for all of your encouragement and support.

Mark