Things to Come Jon Faddis and Wynton Marsalis

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Saile, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Saile

Saile Piano User

Nov 11, 2010
  2. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    I've already got my car motor running for a quick getaway, so . .

This is exactly why I don't listen to Jon Faddis. He's a terrific player and a legend, but IMO enough is enough. High notes in and of themselves are meaningless to me. When he wasn't relying on them, he played great ideas with extraordinary facility. Still, Wynton showed a marked alternative to using a broad range of the trumpet and yet without giving into the temptation of one-upmanship screech playing.

Wynton even made a point of it when he purposely played that passage in the lowest register of the horn after another one of Jon's screechaphonic passages.

Wynton, BTW, can play.

3. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    When I think of Wynton Marsalis, I think of versatility; when I think of Jon Faddis, I think of ledger lines. They both fulfilled their reputations in the above video.

4. rettepnoj

rettepnoj Fortissimo User

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    Jon, BTW, can play, too, but I TOTALLY agree on your post :cool:

5. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    So do I.

6. Saile

Saile Piano User

Nov 11, 2010
    No doubt that they are both good.

In the video, it almost seems like a typical ego battle.

In my opinion, Wynton seems to have more technique and skill. He just has so much command over his instrument. Faddis, was just impressing people with high notes and range but I think any trumpet player would understand that "it's just not about how high you play".

Actually if you hear this same song from Wynton's recent Live in Cuba CD, he play's this solo and he smashes it. One of the best solo's i have heard.

7. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Maybe I am just getting old but that music doesn't do it for me...not sure why. Love Faddis and Wynton... I didn't even like the head on this piece. Maybe that's it... I like a wrap myself around the chord progression and listen to how the soloist walks me through it.

8. rettepnoj

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
  9. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    I wish that were true. But I'm always amazed, and a bit discouraged, actually, at the number of people on trumpet forums for whom certain high-note players who play bombastic, over the top arrangements, are the bomb.

And also, at how scathing their reactions can be if one points out that "it's just not about how high you play".

10. rettepnoj

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    Been there, done that! :-?