THINGS YOU CAN DO RIGHT NOW THAT MAKE YOU A BETTER PLAYER!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by dbacon, Nov 13, 2005.

1. dbacon

dbacon Mezzo Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Scottsdale, AZ.
    Here's one-NEVER PLAY D BELOW THE STAFF OR C# WITHOUT EXTENDING YOUR SLIDE!!!!!!!!!

You become a better player right away, playing those two notes in tune will do it for you. So many ok players just get sloppy with this!

Simple but effective, and you don't need a new mouthpiece for it either!!

2. dbacon

dbacon Mezzo Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Scottsdale, AZ.
    Here's another one that will help your attack-HAVE THE CORRECT VALVE COMBINATION DOWN FOR THE NOTE YOU ARE ABOUT TO START WITH!

One less moving part right at the attack. Most guys stay with the open combination and at the last second slam down whatever combination there is for that note. Example, your first note is F but you don't push down first valve while you inhale but stay open until just before the attack. If you have first valve down it's not only one less motion to co-ordinate but the feeling of having first valve down can help with accuracy.

Try playing A above the staff ppp this way, have 1 and 2 down as you inhale. Makes a difference once you get used to it.

And you don't need to go to a chop Doc to fix this habit!!!!

3. dbacon

dbacon Mezzo Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Scottsdale, AZ.
    Here's another gem that will help make your breathing much more efficient. Simply listen to your breath as you inhale. Any restrictions or tightness will be heard as the air rushes into the mouth. As silent and open a sound as possible means nothing is in the way of the flow of air, and you have an excellent chance to return the flow also without blockage.

Just listen for "OOOH" and return in one motion "tOOOH".....

All that's neccesary is to listen to every breath.

Not even neccesary to buy the newest SUPERHORN on the market......

4. dbacon

dbacon Mezzo Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Scottsdale, AZ.
    Another way to make the breath more effective right now is to feel a coolness and dryness on the back of the throat as the air rushes past the lowered tongue (you get that on the inhale when you hear "OOOOH"). The air outside is cooler and dryer than inside your body, so air that's not heated by the tongue being up as the air comes in will be cooler and dryer on the back of the throat.

So along with listening to the breath you can feel the coolness on the back of the throat as the air drops to the bottom of the lungs.

The more efficient your breathing, the better player you become.

Right away!!

And you don't need to buy any super-secret book on how to blow right.

Your body actually can do this........now!!

5. dbacon

dbacon Mezzo Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Scottsdale, AZ.
    Here's the most important one so far and will do the most for your playing immediatly-------TOTALLY LISTEN TO WHAT'S REALLY COMING OUT OF YOUR BELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So many guys play as if they have ear plugs in and can't hear the stuff coming out of their bell. If you want to make yourself a much better player RIGHT NOW...........never ever play a note without really listening to it.........you can hear an awfull lot by just listening........

6. dbacon

dbacon Mezzo Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Scottsdale, AZ.
    Want better high notes right now, and you don't even have to change your embouchure?!?

Here's how-High notes are not high, they are just farther out (thank you Don Jacoby!).

G in the staff is just out side the bell, high C is past the music stand, high G is accross the room at the wall and Double C is out in the parking lot.

Use this simple but effective mental image everytime you practice and you will have better high chops!

Pick your spot on the wall at your next gig and aim your sound out that way!

7. trumpet blower88

trumpet blower88 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    I really like that last one alot. I use all kinds of mental images when I'm playing. Like filling up the room with sound, I imagine the sound comming out of my bell is a green gas or something, and the room gets filled up with this big green color (or whatever color you feel like). But thats the first one I've hear of for high notes, I'll be sure to think about that next time. Thanks!

8. TrumpetsAreFun

TrumpetsAreFun Pianissimo User

Aug 28, 2005
    California

I don't get it... someone explain this to me plz

9. Umyoguy

Umyoguy New Friend

Feb 1, 2005
    Kalamazoo
    It's a form of imagery to keep you from thinking high-low. Lots of times trumpet players get into trouble by thinking that there need to be big placement changes for different ranges. It's not the case.

Thinking of high notes as "further out" rather than "higher up" keeps everything in line, and creates a direction and intensity that is necessary to play in higher registers.

Hope that helps,

Jon

10. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Dave, you have some great stuff in just a few posts, although I would like to expand on a couple of things:

On having the right valve combination down, I agree with you mostly - there are times when pushing the valves down as you articulate is actually a way to get a different sound out of the articulation. It has it's time and place, but I also agree that starting with the right valve combination to begin with is a good way to go.

On the subject of higher notes being further away, this is a concept that has improved both my ease of my upper register and my endurance, and it's amazing to think that it all comes about from a shift in mental imagery. I think that it works because the mental imagery helps to promote focus and compression in the chops - both necessary for upper register playing. This was taught to me by a student of Doc Jacoby's and I also have "Jake's" book.

Kicking the slides - it's amazing how many guys just ignore that along with listening to what's coming out of their bell - if they would listen, they would kick their slides because they would realize how out of tune they are! :lol:

Good stuff - fundamental and basic, but hey, isn't that where the rubber hits the road?