THINGS YOU CAN DO RIGHT NOW THAT MAKE YOU A BETTER PLAYER!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by dbacon, Nov 13, 2005.

1. dbacon

dbacon Mezzo Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Scottsdale, AZ.
    Great story! I saw Doc plaster a wrong loud high thing all over the front row of the audience.......I watched as he just took another breath and nailed the next lick. He'd completely let go of the mistake and just burned the next phrase.........and I said, "hmmm, clue phone ringing!!"

2. silverstar

silverstar Mezzo Forte User

Jan 6, 2005
    Isn't that the truth.

I guess what I can add is...when you listen to trumpet music, or music with trumpet in it...don't focus only on the trumpet part. Go in stages...first, just listen to the song...then, pick a section...listen to that, see how the parts fit and flow within that section...move on to the next and the next until you run out of sections. Then, listen to individual instruments....see how they balance and blend with the rest of the song.

Don't just stick a Cd in the CD player and idly listen to it....really listen to it and you'll start to develop a sense of balance within a section, and a sense of sound that you like. It also helps to develop the way you portray emotion through the music....and gives you a chance to really think about how you're part or your instrument's part really fits in with everything else to make it sound do good.

I hope that made sense...

Lara

3. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Forte User

Oct 11, 2004
    Farnham (a place too smal
    Understand the difference between playing an instrument and making music with it.

Listen - to yourself, to music, to everyone else in whichever group you are playing in, to life itself - listen, don't hear.

Treat every note like a good story - it should have a beginning middle and end - if any of these are not up to par, the note will not be as great as it could be.

Blow in small end, noise comes out of the big end ;-)

4. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Lara- That made lots of sense to me... Active vs passive listening. Certain musics demand more active listening than passive; certain cicumstances listening will be more active or more passive.

Now, to play teacher for a moment: how can you apply those levels of listening from a performer's perspective?

Yeah...I've seen times where it's much easier to be hypercritical and leave the room feeling terrible. I ahould monitor that, too.

5. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN

6. butxifxnot

butxifxnot Pianissimo User

Jul 10, 2004
    Here...
    Be more concerned with making music than playing the right notes/dynamics. If you're making beautiful music, then what more is there? The notes on the page are the script, but the script doesn't make the play: the actor's passion does.