Things you hate about the Trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Satchmo Brecker, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    Thought I'd throw a curve ball and see what turns up. Keep in mind we all love the trumpet, just there's gotta be some things we hate. I'm especially interested in hearing from folks who are masters (I'm still a beginner at 1 yr playing).

Things I hate about trumpet:

1) Have to oil the darn thing everytime I practice
    2) Have to work so hard to keep numerous notes in tune
    3) Have to worry about "partials" (I think that's the term). I've practiced bottom space F - A - F - A and D - A - D - A a thousand times and still they crack on occasion during Etudes.

Maybe there are things I can do to make these go away, and I'd like to hear them too.

2. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    #1. You need a different valve oil.

#2. You need to practice more.

#3. You need to do the above.

3. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I use synthetic valve oil, and have to re-oil every month or two...

Assuming you have a decent instrument, the rest of it comes with practice, as Solar Bell said.

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    The thing I hate about the trumpet is that I have to put it down and rest on occasion. Along that line, there are only 24 hrs in a day to play my trumpet(s).

5. SwingPlayer

SwingPlayer New Friend

Apr 7, 2011
    I.E. SoCal
    The thing I hate is not having enought time to practice as much I as would like to.

6. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    There is nothing about the trumpet I hate per se. But, I hate how much it bothers my family when I practice.

BrotherBACH.

7. leftmid7

leftmid7 Mezzo Piano User

Sep 21, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    What I hate is not the trumpet per se, but physiology having to DO with the trumpet. We're pretty much the only instrument that can't go beyond 1 day without practicing or you lose some chops. Not that I don't want to practice, but when traveling, vacationing, getting sick, schedules that really don't allow, one has to scramble to find time, space, etc., to pull it off.

8. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    #1 - I use Blue Juice. I was told by a pro that that's the oil to get.

#2 - Kinda figured someone would say that :) So are you saying in a few years I won't have to worry about steering C#, D, etc. into tune?

#3 - This was "inspired" by another thread about "that darn F" that seems to crack alot for people (and something about JFK taps). So it made me think even seasoned players must hate the fact that notes like F still crack on them.

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Hate is a word that has no meaning in my life. It would be an emotion too strong for any human being and as I am not being chased by inanimate objects like trumpets there is no use there.

What I strongly dislike are bad jokes, BS and myths that don't go away.

10. Gabriel Michael

Gabriel Michael New Friend

Apr 24, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Learn to love your weakness (rowuk, I'm talking to Satchmo - you are going to keep strongly disliking my bad jokes/BS...and I love it)

I will get majorly flamed for posting this, but I watched an interview of someone that has put themselves through hell and back. Watch the bottom clip, especially at 4:19. Many may see the guy as a joke, but I have respect for the guy, who appears to have done some soul searching.

Greta Interviews Mike Tyson 2.0: The Blogmocracy