Things you hate about the Trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Satchmo Brecker, Apr 27, 2011.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    1. I am bummed that there are not more hours in the day that I can practice my trumpet

2. I am bummed that I may never have the chance to personally meet rowuk.

3. I am bummed that I get fatigued so easily when I try to play my Olds Recording and Hammond B-3 together at the same time.

Maybe not necessarily in that order. 2 is pretty high up there. And rowuk, in your infinite wisdom, hate IS too harsh a word

Extra credit post: I am bummed that I can never come up with an answer as philosophically sophisticated as rowuk... He is my hero.

2. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    There is only ONE thing that I hate about trumpet and that is that we are all limited in some way by endurrance. I would play for six hours because I love it. On piano or drums, or guitar that can happen, but lips only last so long. It is frustrating to fade away on a spot that I know that I can play. Its an age old problem for a lot of players. Improvements in this area are slow for me. Best wishes.

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    +1 on the last two posts:thumbsup:

4. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    The only thing I don't like about the trumpet is that they cost money to buy. My wish list of trumpets (and other instruments) grows every week...and I don't have the money for them all! :( ...including a Hammond B3...So if you ever feel like giving yours away Gary..... ;) Ha ha!!!

Kujo

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Now that is a bad joke................ I will admit to having a VERY weird sense of humor!

The problem is in the weight of words more than anything else. In a live conversation, we have feedback and can adjust as necessary. Blogged, we have to get to know our partners - and that is the biggest problem on the internet. In the beginning stuff sounds rude - because the listener is not listening. Once a true conversation starts, it is easy to zero in on "natural stuff".

GM,
    jokes belong in the lounge. There we have no issues - even with Maynard in highschool 60 years ago. I do not moderate in the lounge and therefore don't "have" to read the content to check for bad language or other no-nos. As I have committed to moderating this general trumpet forum, I do read each post.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I appreciate your instructional notification on jokes, and I agree, but I am not joking. I mean what I say. It would be my honor to meet (or hear you play) someday.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I am in the same money boat, and I am constantly treading water to keep it from sinking. The Hammond I inherited from my mother on her passing. My dad (also recently passing) gave it to her as a gift while she was recovering from lung surgery back in 1962. I was the one in our family that took to playing it, that launched my music career at age 7 years. That instrument is priceless for this reason. But I do appreciate, Kujo, your appreciation of fine instruments.

8. LEBOUTILLIER

LEBOUTILLIER New Friend

Apr 1, 2011
    Iowa
    One thing I hate about trumpet: my wife thinks I need to spend time with her over practicing. I know that she should be the priority, however after one failed marriage, I should have learned my lesson, but that brass mistress demands so much time...

9. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    There's nothing I hate about the trumpet......It's the best teacher I've ever had, and humbles me daily.

10. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    This is so true ..... When you're chatting without the benefit of being able to see people, you can't tell what their body language is saying, or catch a little smile at a certain moment, to get the idea they're just kidding ... or whatever. It's always a good idea in here to err on the side of friendliness ... or toss in a smilie dude to show that you're being silly or sarcastic. It really helps.:shock::roll::-o;-):cool:ROFL:oops::-P

Turtle