Things you hate about the Trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Satchmo Brecker, Apr 27, 2011.

1. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    If it's watching "Thelma & Louise", I agree. If it's "other" stuff, the trumpet stays in the case! :thumbsup::thumbsup:;-);-):wub::wub:

2. jtpowell

jtpowell Pianissimo User

Mar 15, 2011
    Cincinnati
    I don't hate anything about my trumpet. There are many like it but this one is mine. If only we had more hours in a day.

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Things I dislike about playing trumpet:

1.) I dislike the fact that I've never been able to develop the kind of range and chops I've always wanted.

2.) I dislike that even taking a little time off results in needing to proactively rebuild what has been lost, and the older I get, the faster I lose it, and the longer it takes to rebuild it

3.) I dislike that chopping out is a very real concern for any gig that runs long (I've never had to worry about that behind the drums)

Other than that, it's been a great instrument that has taken me to a lot of wonderful places and opportunities.

4. Darten

Darten Mezzo Piano User

Dec 21, 2009
    New York City
    This is my one pet peeve too.:-(

5. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I really do not like this part:
    if you're sick or not feeling well..even stupid chapped lips .. a freakin pimple on the lip ... it can hurt.... HURT,,, think about it.. even though.. we play, practice ....not to mention all the stomich/digestive track issues

6. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    1) Not getting to play enough.

2) Spit!

7. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    I read sonewhere Maurice Andre said that trumpet playing is like building a sandcastle on the beach EVERYDAY you have to rebuild it......ROFL Anthony

Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
  8. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    I have to also "second" one of Trickgs' pet peeves.

I really hate the fact that missing practice affects range and endurance so much. I love practicing for sure. It is weird how a day or two can actually be beneficial but a week devastating. It was the same when I was a body builder; nearly identical in fact. The only thing I can hope for is that with more experience, the loss is less and the return is easier. At least, that is the way it was with body building until I got to a certain age. Then it was more difficult as Trickg suggests. Not a good thing.

BrotherBACH

9. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    I have thought of a new one in responding to another post. I HATE NERVES. I recently had to in an audition type situation to get an "additional" teacher. I think so highly of this man that I was extremely nervous. During my warm-up, I was so nervous my jaw was quivering and it made my notes wobble. God, someone, please tell me how to get rid of that!

BrotherBACH

10. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    @BrotherBach ...perhaps that's why trumept players are so cocky .. confidence to conquer fear