Things you hate about the Trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Satchmo Brecker, Apr 27, 2011.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Don't hate nerves. Nerves are our friends. They give us the feed back - ouch, my lip hurts; I will stop playing the trumpet. If your cognitive function is intact, you will stop. Damage controlled.

Now the nerves you describe, are related to anxiety. This is a vital reaction that is important or continued evolution of the species. I see mastodon, I am scared, I will run, but first blow a note on warning long bone trumpet to warn tribe. Tribe is saved, you run into the forest, find a tree, hide and are saved. The tribal chief's daughter is given to you as a mate, you do and well... you evolve (to the next chiefteen daughter)... no I mean with the species, ya that's it the species.

Now I am not God, but this is how you get rid of it:

Quick Fix:
    Breath repetitively into a paper bag until you feel all tingly. Then stop. The CO2 rush is a blast, you dig it and you play on dude.

Slow Fix:
    1. Start with a muscle group furthest away from your body - the toes.
    2. Flex them on one foot (right) very tight for 10-20 seconds.
    3. Relax toes, and feel the warm blood flow back into them while breathing slowly
    4. Hyperextend these toes
    5. Repeat step 3.
    6. Move to the other side repeat steps 2-5.
    7. Move to next muscle group on right (the ankle); repeat sequence 1-6.

Once lower extremity groups are completed up to the hip, repeat sequence 1-7 starting with fingers.

Once this is completed to the shoulder, go to the forehead and start tensing these muscles, next the eyes, next the nose, next the jaw, then the neck (looking up, then down, then to right shoulder then to left shoulder) and you are done. Do these AT LEAST every 2 days, and you will be forever calm. This will also lower your blood pressure - no kidding!

But if you don't have the time because you are always playing the trumpet or running from your own mastodons (the significant other perhaps) then USE THE BAG!

2. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    gomonady.

That was FANTASTIC! Thank you so much! I really laughed hard and learned a lot from that post. I will try the exercise you describe.

BrotherBACH

3. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    My tongue is starting to bleed - so I need to stop biting it (got a gig tomorrow you see)

- Lads and Lassies, it is self evident - it's not the trumpet. ;-)

4. Gandalf20000

Gandalf20000 New Friend

Oct 9, 2010
    Texas, United States
    Not necessarily. My trumpet is so unforgiving. It beats me up for playing well, it screws up my teeth, it gives me headaches after playing high notes- Oh, wait, that's all me. Yeah, your right, it's not the trumpet. :-P

5. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    I don't hate the trumpet or anything about it. If I did, I wouldn't play it.
    What I have strong dislikes for are:
    Whiners - you know the kind I mean. "My mouthpiece sucks. My horn sucks. This music we're doing sucks". Etc. It ain't the horn or the mouthpiece or the music. It's YOU and your attitude/ability.
    Players who play too loud under all circumstances.
    Players who misrepresent their abilities and you later find out they are rank amateurs with no professional experience.
    Players who do not play musically and do not understand you don't play Beethoven like you
    would Mahler or Ellington, or Goodman, or Poulenc.
    Players who THINK they can ad lib but consistantly do so in the WRONG key.
    Folks who look for shortcuts instead of hard work.
    Know-nothings who have the audacity to "correct" great advice given by experienced professional players who actually can walk the walk and talk the talk simply because they are real players and teachers.
    I could go on and on, but that's enough.
    I've been fortunate over the last 40+ years. I had tough band directors and great teachers. I've played with some of the very finest musicians in Chicago. What was always discussed was how to
    become a better musician. Equipment was secondary.
    R. Tomasek

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I dislike carrying them through airports and then convincing the flight attendants that they are carry-on items!

7. Gabriel Michael

Gabriel Michael New Friend

Apr 24, 2011
    Houston, TX
    I would have to concur with this, along with the fact that the weather (how we feel on that day of playing) can be different on any given day.

rowuk, I never did see a 'Terms of Service' regarding jokes. I did see the Lounge, prior to my post which mentioned Maynard, which describes it as a place to taking a break from 'trumpet talk'. I certainly did not want to go against those words as my post has talk regarding the trumpet. I will discount the words of others going against your response about being rude/brash (in my own description)...you have reign over them. I try to look at the positive before being a hole to someone. I have healthy relationships with people that are known in the trumpet/music/entertainment world...on and off forums with whom I have never had an issue with. If this site agrees with how you treat mildly-joking new people, I can go another 36 years with not being a member. This is certainly something I hate about the Trumpet.

8. Arch_Angel2013

Arch_Angel2013 New Friend

Apr 26, 2011
    USA
    I hate not having enough time in the day to really practice what I want

9. Arch_Angel2013

Arch_Angel2013 New Friend

Apr 26, 2011
    USA
    I agree with all of that, but I defenitely agree with the Whiners part. People need to shut up and just accept things and do their best, reguardless of feelings toward the music, horn, etc.

10. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    ... or (as I've had to do) get it through to the security screening people that although it's metal and can be used as a club it's not a weapon.

--bumblebee