Things you hate about the Trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Satchmo Brecker, Apr 27, 2011.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Whining may actually help. Tomorrow evening we are playing a gig in Greenville. I asked if they have good gin and tonics. They said it' a wine bar, so I asked: Dooo youuuuu haaavee goood geeen an toniiicks?

If that doesn't get me the gin and tonic then I'll settle for a bitter chardonnay and ask for a lime wedge.

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    It can be used as a weapon--a sonic one!

3. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I'm flying again in June -- that's not helping!

--bumblebee

4. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I don't hate anything about the trumpet, except maybe that I might never be as good as I want to be! What really gets to me are people that can't accept that musicians actually work for a living, and need to get paid! Professional musicians work for years to get where they are, spend too much on school, lessons, and equipment, and then are paid next to nothing. Gigs disappear in favor of DJs, churches try to make you a member so they don't have to pay, and if one more person says to me "What do you REALLY do for a living?" I'm gonna scream!!!:bash:
    Ok - I'm off my soapbox now. I really do wish that our culture valued our Fine and Performing Artists more! It would be so nice to make a living as well as be more respected for what we go through to do what we do.

5. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Don't scream ... hit them with a high C.

There are really only two things I don't really like about the trumpet ..... the volume (making practice difficult sometimes) and the fact that I can't get anywhere on it without learning how to read music (which I didn't do in school).

Turtle

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Turtle, reading the notes should not be that difficult, there are only 7 natural notes, A through G ... easier than the English alphabet. Adding sharps and flats, the total is 21, still less than the alphabet.

Key signatures to this day I have to stop and think about it if you asked me which key I was playing in ... but I never worried about it ... I just played and sharpened or flatted whichever notes were signified

As a guide to tempo there is that numerical fraction at the beginning of a song. Don't worry you won't have to do any math and convert it to decimals. The top number tells you how many beats there to be in a measure and the bottom tells you which type of note gets one beat.
    There is latitude in the count when the tempo is shown with "Allegro" = fast. "Moderato" = normal etc. Practice with a metronome or having an instructor count the beat with his baton is a great help.

Where I still get in trouble is annotations to the notes. I've no trouble with those I frequenty use, but from time to time I've got to refer to my book for explanation. Full, hard, staccato, pause, and hold (they've other names, but such was the way I learned them in elementary school) are no problem and I no longer think about them/

The "sneaky" (Too, that's what we called it in elementary school) is the dot following a note. Such means the note prior to the dot is extended by 1/2 the value of that note.

That's my lesson for today. Enjoy!

7. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Thanks, Ed! I'm getting it (reading music) .... I just think it would have been a lot easier when I was 10.

Turtle

8. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    1) I don't like that I can't play as well above high C as I do below high C.

2) I don't like that my body is giving out before my lip.

3) I don't like that the more I improve the more I notice musicians who suck.

9. KMRoark

KMRoark New Friend

Apr 26, 2011
    1) I dislike when playing notes make my two front teeth loose.

2) I dislike carrying my case around into stores because I'm too afraid it will get stolen in the car.

3) The people who give musicians a bad name.

10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Very few have had the prior dedication to study and practice at age 10 that would enable them to read music and play well, but the mental "sponge" of youth with combined vocal and instrumental participation should have them reading music pretty well in the aggregate of time from then through age 15 (a sophmore in high school then wearing a uniform of the school band as achievement). The problem I have is declining health in advancing age where I've forgotten more than half of what I then learned, inclusive of 10 more years of study and practice as doesn't make it that much easier now ... I now have to work very hard at it. My biggest obstacle to overcome was the 40+ years I didn't come near a cornet / trumpet or other horn, but in a flash with the time and nothing much else I was capable of doing I had a period of about 2 1/2 years where I recorded quite a number of songs playing multiple parts on several different horns ... then major dental and health issues took all this away again, however I'm now excited to have received clearance from my Docs to again resume, although they'll continue to monitor my health, and now just days away from setting my dental issue to antiquity. Can't wait to put my horns to my lips again !!!