Things you hate about the Trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Satchmo Brecker, Apr 27, 2011.

1. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    When you finally get good at playing it with braces, and you get them removed, you suck again -___-

2. Haste2

Haste2 Piano User

Jun 16, 2010
    I personally LIKE The partials... more ways to control your instrument makes it more fun! :-)

What I hate about it...

1)Getting tired.... and what's worse is that, when you get tired, if you're like me, your sound starts getting more inconsistent!

2)The valves themselves. I used to wonder why woodwinds seemed to have an easier time playing fast, despite more keys, but I think I found out the main reason: we have to push our valves down a full INCH of distance. No wonder it's hard to play fast and clean.

3)The fact that valves were not invented for trumpet until like the year 1800? Also, that Brahms did not think of trumpet-playing past the classical era for the most part. :-P

4)This may be quite the biggest reason of all... since the trumpet is so physically demanding, way too much practice time is devoted to simply making yourself physically capable of playing the instrument effectively and efficiency. Thus, it seems like your practice time for actually learning to play music is so limited compared to other instruments. I guess it's a small price to pay considering how awesome trumpet is, though!

The trumpets totally rock in just about everything else, though. I just love the wide variety of sounds it can make... it's practically unmatched!

Last edited: May 1, 2011
  3. sach7581

sach7581 New Friend

Mar 14, 2008
    Knoxville, Tennessee
    I wish the trumpet could play more than one note at a time. I like harmony.

4. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Find three trumpeting mates and you're away :play::play::play::play: see? Nice harmonies - well done ROFL.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Not to worry, watch this guy, do it his way, and this hate will wash away:
    YouTube - Solo Trumpet Duet

6. KMRoark

KMRoark New Friend

Apr 26, 2011
    I have seen this video before and find it hard to believe, though it would be amazing if you could. That would be something to impress my teacher with.:D

7. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    He may have been faking it, but this little fellow isn't so far as I know:

YouTube - Little Bobby Harrison, Trumpet Player

--bumblebee

8. sach7581

sach7581 New Friend

Mar 14, 2008
    Knoxville, Tennessee
    Ok. My hate disappeared but now I have a new one. I hate it that I cannot play out my ear like that guy although I have been able to "toot" out my hind end. I warm up fast but then cannot sustain a note. Prbably because I use my diaphram for support and definately don't breathe.

9. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    It's obviously a fake (comedy), since he plays through his nose and ears at the end...

I did see a guy at the GABBF play a 2-horn duet by himself, live on stage, so it can be done.

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I rectum all it takes is vibrating tissue, vibrating tissue.