Things your Teacher said that you will never forget

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rdt1959, Sep 25, 2007.

1. rdt1959

rdt1959 Pianissimo User

Oct 31, 2003
    Georgia
    All the talk in another thread got me thinking (a VERY dangerous thing!) And it got me curious...

What are some of the corny little sayings that your past trumpet teachers have said that stick with you through the years, and that you find helpful?

from my current teacher...

"You can play the notes. Now play the music."
    "A professional knows what to do in practice sessions, and what not to play in public."

From my junior high and high school teacher....

"Any idiot can learn to play high C LOUD. It takes a musician to play it softly." (this guy was one of the best teachers...of any subject...that I ever had. And one of the handful of teachers in my life that truely cared about all aspects of his student's lives. I miss him.)

2. oldenick

oldenick Pianissimo User

Apr 10, 2007
    CT
    regarding a question about triple tonguing in the Arban's Carnival of Venice:
    "you can't blow your wad on the first variation friend"
    He then proceeded to drive the proverbial schoolbus.

sage advice
    good lesson

3. RG111

RG111 Piano User

Nov 12, 2003
    "Learn to do this well and you will be a happier trumpet player right here" ( patting his wallet). RIP Mr. Geisler.

Roy Griffin

4. Fluffy615

Fluffy615 Piano User

Nov 30, 2006
    New Jersey
    "The white's the paper, the black's the notes. Play the black!!" Carmine Fornaratto.
    He could make me feel like the best trumpet player in world after a lesson, or the worst. I learned more about playing musically from him than anyone else.

5. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    Barbara used to say after I'd finish playing something, "Could you have played that better?" And if the answer was yes it was my a**. I use it on my own students. "Yes? Well then why didn't you? Too lazy? Too tired? Poor baby."

Michael McLaughlin

6. Toobz

Toobz Mezzo Piano User

Feb 5, 2007
    " Learn to love to play with no one watching or listening. "

He was talking about how some people love to play more for the spotlight, than for the love of music. It also may have been his sneaky way of getting us to practice ;-) , but I still love to sit alone
    and just play.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    you get rich in the dark.

Use every practice session as if it were a performance. If you give 100% in the practice room, you will get rich.

8. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    to play higher SMILE - boy was that off base. [no private teacher it was two different band directors]. Dave

9. brem

brem Mezzo Forte User

Sep 13, 2007
    Quebec City, QC, Canada
    "I taught you all I know" (proceeding in giving me his copy of Arban's):shock: :thumbdown: :stars: :bash:

So now I teach myself. :woop: :play:

10. bilboinsa

bilboinsa Piano User

Jan 24, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    "Did you remember the money you owe me?"