Things your Teacher said that you will never forget

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rdt1959, Sep 25, 2007.

1. Ichierzen

Ichierzen Pianissimo User

Sep 22, 2007
    Here's something my band director back home wouldn't stop asking me last year (Freshman year):

"So, are you still a music major?"

Also another memorable moment I was told by an Education Major who was get their teaching experience/credits with our band, man, I could never forget this.

He was a fellow trumpet player, who'd been earning money as a carpenter, so while helping us to build the set for "Anything Goes," we were about to perform a concert (which was performed in front of the giant ship, haha). As for what we were playing, he chose Danny Boy, or Irish Tune on a County Derry, I can't remember for sure, but its the same tune anyway. I think his name was Mr. Griffon now that I think of it....but I digress.

We were playing it ok, not great, but we were at a district where the community nearly took away the music program because they could afford the taxes, so not too many people cared a great deal, "Who cares how we play, we're just [insert school name here]." That's a rather unfortunate way to look at being in a musical group, but again I digress!

So, we weren't great. He stops us one day, looks down at the score, and very calmly starts discussing the mood of the song, and asked us what we thought of when we played the piece - what was our musical muse?

Of course, being a High School group, no one answered for fear of persecution from their peers. He looks around the group and says something along these lines, "You know what I think of when I perform or conduct this piece? I remember my band director. He was a great guy, fantastic trombone player.

"We were a few weeks before a concert and he was just coming back with his brother from visiting some family. That next Monday, we all expected him to be waiting for us full of stories to tell, but he didn't come. The normal subsitute for him walked in and delivered the news - their plane had crashed into a mountain on the day, there weren't any survivors.

"When I play or conduct this piece, I play it in honor of him, and in memory of him and his life."

And it was so touching....One could argue that we played the best we ever would, at least during the years at I attended the school. I'll never forget that day, the look on his face, the transfer of emotion to the band, and the emotion flowing through the band. I only wish I could experience it more.

The word is more powerful than the note,or maybe the note is the word?

Last edited: Sep 27, 2007
  2. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    "It's just a note like any other." (dealing with my fear of height)
    and
    "Don't underestimate yourself, on trumpet or in life."

3. Fudleysmith

Fudleysmith Pianissimo User

Jan 5, 2006
    Niantic, CT
    HS band director: "You play notes with your fingers and lips, you make music with your ears!"

4. Toobz

Toobz Mezzo Piano User

Feb 5, 2007
    Great story ! Playing from the heart isn't taught enough !

Also a note regarding Danny Boy !

Also known as Londonderry Air, here is a site that discusses Danny Boy and it's many incarnations.

The 'Danny Boy' Trivia Collection

5. student trumpet

student trumpet Pianissimo User

Dec 7, 2004
    Minnesota
    Gary Bordner has his saying "Practice or Die"

6. Ameythist_08

Ameythist_08 New Friend

Jan 25, 2007
    Michigan
    "If I had recorded what you just played, wold you buy a copy?"
    ~ Ben Rosier

7. Brassmonkey

Brassmonkey Pianissimo User

Jan 6, 2007
    Florida
    "play when you practice, practice when you play."

8. hose

hose Pianissimo User

Oct 31, 2003
    Orlando FL
    There's plenty of room at the top (not that many really great players).

There's plenty of room at the bottom where there is not that many really bad players.

It's in that vast middle where most of us dwell where we have to somehow stand out. If you will do things that the masses can't/won't do, then you have a chance of working regularly.

9. hose

hose Pianissimo User

Oct 31, 2003
    Orlando FL
    "Remember young man, a drop in the bucket everyday.".....Wm Adam.

10. rubberduckie

rubberduckie New Friend

Oct 16, 2006
    "You may never win a job in an orchestra. Ever. But I do know that you were put on this earth by God to play the trumpet."
    -Charlie Geyer