Things your Teacher said that you will never forget

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rdt1959, Sep 25, 2007.

1. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    Dave - what ever made you think you can play the trumpet?

2. Whataguy!

Whataguy! Pianissimo User

Jan 16, 2004
    Osaka, Japan
    At 14, I came to a lesson crying for some reason and my teacher, Bob Fleming said: "The best musicians suck it up now and cry after the gig. They are consistent and dependable. Now, take it from the pick up to B. One, two, a-one . . ."

3. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    "You're playing as your fingers have never met before!"

Anthony Swainson under the very last rehearsal before the Norwegian Nationals

4. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Yuk - in every respect - yuk!

5. Bloomin Untidy Musician

Bloomin Untidy Musician Piano User

Jan 14, 2008
    Staffordshire
    Beecham springs to mind on this one. He once said to a female Cello player during a rehearsal
    "you have an instrument between your legs which has the potential to bring pleasure to millions, and all you can do is scratch it."

RIP Thomas B.ROFL

6. Bloomin Untidy Musician

Bloomin Untidy Musician Piano User

Jan 14, 2008
    Staffordshire
    Any teachers i have had have always reverted to the old cliche "put more air through it" when something was going wrong.

7. Wlfgng

Wlfgng Piano User

Aug 15, 2008
    Canada
    " You gave birth to that note....." would be used when my playing was timid and unsure. He just wanted me to play the notes like I owned the notes.

"First day with the new lips?" - he could tell the time when I hadn't practiced, this was always the comment.

"Cat go your tounge?' - when the articulation would lazy.

He had all sorts of little sayings, they would anoy you but at the same time made you want to practice more.

8. Newguy

Newguy Pianissimo User

Mar 30, 2008
    Pittsburgh Area
    Always yelled to the trumper section in High School -- "When in doubt, second valve!!"

9. Tootler

Tootler New Friend

Oct 10, 2008
    Ottawa
    My music teacher had a few sayings. I'll always remember his "You're up and down like a prostitute's panties!" I especially remember him saying in when the nun running the Glee Club was walking into the band room.ROFL

10. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    When I found out that I was relatively good at the trumpet when first starting out I was a loud player and I'll always remember what my music teacher told me (whether it's true or not)
    "don't become like Herb Alpert" (who apparently couldn't play softly) But I know better now.

Also, "A student practices it to get it right, but a professional practices it until it can't go wrong"