Things your Teacher said that you will never forget

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rdt1959, Sep 25, 2007.

1. edcon1981

edcon1981 Mezzo Forte User

Jun 25, 2008
    Central Jersey
    hmmm... two things i can think of.

this one pertains to marching. my high school band instructer said "wedge an olive between your butt cheeks. if it falls out while marching your steps are too big. if you crush it you're too nervous. if you lose it and you're sure it didn't fall to the ground... seek help."

he also had a set of rules on his wall regarding his classroom.
    1. the instructor is always right.
    2. if you make a mistake, make it big.
    3. don't eat any olives you find on the ground.
    4. noone is to be locked in the instrument lockers.
    5. if the instructor is wrong refer to rule 1.

2. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    "Chops flat against the teeth, corners firm, sneer, AIR ON!"
    Leon Merian

Last edited: Nov 14, 2008
  3. Sneakyheathen

Sneakyheathen New Friend

Jul 30, 2008
    Every breathe you take is a breathe of your life. Don't waste it.
    Play to move somebody.
    An A is an A no matter the octave.

4. Snorglorf

Snorglorf Pianissimo User

Nov 13, 2008
    Wrong 'n' Strong - Andrew Jones, trombone instructor + big band leader at IMC jazz camp. Telling us to not be shy if we can't play it.

If you can sing it, you can hear it, and if you can hear it, you can play it. - Lisa Martinelli, vocal instructor + daily vocal warmup for the entire camp.

Quiet Intensity - Kevin Turcotte, trumpet teacher at the same camp

Last edited: Nov 14, 2008
  5. nickpasternack

nickpasternack Pianissimo User

Aug 21, 2008
    Rochester, NY
    On the subject of to much conversation, my bug band conductor had this to say....

"Pull your head out of your sphincter and put your horn to your face, maybe that wil shut you up, and if it doesn't, I wear a size 12....."

"if you show up to a gig and can't read a score, a drummer probably wrote it....."

6. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    Years ago, I played in all-county jazz band. All of the hot shots in the county showed up at the first rehearsal, and read down the first chart, everybody playing loudly and not listening to anybody else. We all thought we'd played the hell out of the chart because we got through it with few 'clams'.

The band director looked at us placidly and said 'Very nice ladies and gentlemen. You've managed to impress the hell out of yourselves. Now please turn to your neighbors, introduce yourselves, and let's get down to playing some music instead of trying to impress each other!'

bigtiny

7. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    "while you're sleeping, someone else is practicing".

8. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    The band was rehearsing for a performance at a gallaconcert when the
    conductor stopped, took up his notebook and pencil and startet to write,
    with a satisfied look in his face. We wondered what happened, and he just smiled to
    us and said: "A magic moment! The K......Band played four full continuous bars,
    in tune! I had to write it down so I don't forget it when I am writing about the highlights
    in my career in my biography".

9. Jason Parra

Jason Parra New Friend

Mar 6, 2007
    NYC, Miami, Boise
    So many to choose from, but a few of my favorites from an early jazz instructor (and great player) Andy Plamondon were on the inevitability of mistakes; or as he put it-- how "crap" happens but "crap" also wipes.

On soloing---

"Jason, if you make a mistake during a performance....Make it with some balls!"

On section playing---

"If you seriously frag a note in the section, just look at the player next to you like he just farted in your mouth"....

Or if your caught red handed---

"Just look at your trumpet all PO'd and start messing with the valves".

Of course this was all deferring the blame from yourself (except for making a mistake with authority). However, he was a first rate teacher and taught me a lot of great things as well. As a young guy himself, maybe 24 (which to a 15 year old was an OLD man) he really knew how to relate and not intimidate his students.
    Of course I was in absolute awe of his soloing and range, but he was a very easy going guy who you just wanted to produce results for. Very cool cat....

10. godchaser

godchaser Banned

Jun 17, 2007

"You're a natural." -unknown

I haven't gotten to play ever since. -And despite my envy of Players, and reading about your all's Teachers. I don't seem to mind. :)

Can't remember the Instructor's name; that said that to me -or even what they looked like. Which i never do. Noticed a lot of people didn't mention their Teachers by name, either. Would have liked to here more about this person.

"Never practice.... always perform."

Cheers

-