Things your Teacher said that you will never forget

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rdt1959, Sep 25, 2007.

1. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    When a mistake was made, after stopping me and glaring..."That note wants to be played like this (demonstration by low buzzing/humming example) "

:-?

2. BrassOnLine

BrassOnLine Piano User

Nov 22, 2007
    Spain
    "Be clear. Everybody should understand what you're expressing".

3. trumpet_man

trumpet_man Piano User

Jan 17, 2008
    Wyoming
    "What separates the amateurs from the pros? The amateurs practice something until they can play it right. The pros practice something until they can't play it wrong".

4. NOwens

NOwens New Friend

Nov 13, 2008
    Valley Village, CA
    my teacher, Delores Rhoads, mom of rock legend Randy Rhoads, would always tell me: "PLAY SLOWER, damn kids always trying to play fast"

5. bigpapajosh

bigpapajosh Pianissimo User

Aug 10, 2008
    Titusville Florida
    "josh, im gonna make you into a musician one of these days, and your gonna drop that habit of being a trumpet player in the process."
    Mr. Schwindt

6. Snorglorf

Snorglorf Pianissimo User

Nov 13, 2008
    Randy Rhoads' mom taught you to play trumpet?

7. Aerotrom

Aerotrom New Friend

Jul 17, 2008
    Spain
    "Use the air as much as you can, instead of your lips. You can always use the air, just have to inhale it, but if your lips get tired they will be over"

8. Trumpetdiva08

Trumpetdiva08 New Friend

Nov 13, 2008
    So Cal
    My HS band director would say about the clarinets playing(attempting to) in the upper register "they have the screaming mimi's again"

My college director would say "1st mistake today". I use that one with my students when needed ;-) It was good to hear him admit he made mistakes too.

Also my college director said to me one day after rehearsal as I was bending over picking up something from the bottom of my locker, "That's a very tempting sight young lady!" I was mortified and my friends ribbed me for years on that comment. I always made sure Doc wasn't in the hallway whenever I needed to bend for something in my locker from then on.

9. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    To a 10 year old beginner "blow the thing, dont suck it! "

Regards, Stuart

10. GordonH

GordonH Mezzo Forte User

May 15, 2005
    Scotland
    This will age me but Harry Mortimer once told me that every piece has its own speed and even if there was no time signature on the sheet you could work out what speed it sounds best at.

How many times this has been proved right!