Things you've always been good at

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by loweredsixth, Jul 7, 2005.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    I'm glad that I started playing picc in high school. For one, it got me hired for more weddings, and made those weddings more comfortable to play. Second, it made me a better picc player sooner. I didn't stop practicing the big horns. In fact, I don't really practice picc other than to pick it up and play every few days. Even a scale or an etude is fine to keep my chops up on it.

But....I do wish that my teacher at the time, who is principal of a big orchestra, would have told me not to play the B'burg rather than encourage me to do so. That would have saved a lot of hassle.

After talking to Ray Mase and Chris Gekker about it, I don't play picc for auditions unless it's called for. Also, I don't program anything strenous on recital for picc. Most recitals I like to stick to Bb/C trpts and maybe Eb or flugel. Staying away from picc improves my endurance and allows for me to change more smootly between pieces.

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    PBT,

Hmmm... that doesn't seem right to me, somehow. This really is the time for you to accept challenges of a normal nature like making the picc a frequent part of life. I find I get stronger when I include the picc more frequently. Is there a mouthpiece that would make the transition more natural? I know you've played Dave's mouthpieces so, you're familiar with them. I've really enjoyed his lead pieces on piccolo as I have a Selmer, not one of his.

Just a thought.

ML

3. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Forte User

Oct 11, 2004
    Farnham (a place too smal
    What came easily?
    Sight-reading never had a problem with it - am hated by some players who prefer to have had the part in front of them for a week. If I don't get it within a couple of notes on the first couple of play-throughs, it will take me a LONG time to get it right.

High notes - nobody ever told me I wasn't supposed to get them.

Piccolo playing - just came easily to me - since first starting I have been trying to work out what I am doing so I am able to teach it more effectively. Thanks to Dave Hickman's books, much experience and a bunch of posts on TH, TM etc I am now in the position of knowing what I should be doing - I think it is what I have been doing anyway for the past few years.

Baroque ornamentation - seems natural to me. The more modern ornamenting I find a little beyond me, but I find Bach and Handel comes naturally.

posting on the various forums :lol:

What really didn't?
    Multiple tonguing - I STILL have problems doing that to my satisfaction. I know how to do it, but keeping it to a level I am happy with is always a problem.

Improvisation - just don't ask me to, alright! :evil: (although Pat has threatened to give me some pointers, as has Rex Richardson - one of these days I might have to try it properly)

even tone throughout the range - still working at this - a good double C (and above) is something I would love to achieve with the same sound as I have below that.

knowing when to stop lists of my good/bad points

4. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    My tone has probably always been my best bit

5. fatcat

fatcat New Friend

Jun 28, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    I have a pretty good tone that has come very naturally to me, but the most natural thing for me has been volume and volume control. I have a good PP, and the ability to play there anywhere in my range, but I also have a FF that can cover every ensemble that I've played with without having my sound break up.

Range has never come very naturally for me, but the time between when I first play a note, and when I feel comfortable playing that note whenever has been extraordinarily short. It took me 6 years of playing to just get to A just over the staff, then with the help of a good teacher and a major embouchre change I was able to increase that an octave (on a good day) over the course of a year but it's still something that I have to work hard at.

My double and triple articulations are also just awful.

6. MatthewMiller

MatthewMiller New Friend

Jun 5, 2005
    About the only thing that has come naturally to me on trumpet is endurance. Playing for a long time across my range isn't an issue for me.
    Now, if you want me to list things I've struggled with, that could take days!

7. loweredsixth

loweredsixth Pianissimo User

Mar 11, 2005
    Fresno, California, USA
    Like animal sounds or other trumpeter's sounds? :D

Let me hear your giraffe!

8. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    I do it all the time...it's the sound I make just before I play Mahler 5 or Pictures. Listen closely!

ML

9. timothypierson

timothypierson Pianissimo User

Feb 20, 2005
    I've always been comfortable with transposition and playing on multiple horns including Pic. My trumpet teacher started me on transpositions when I was a freshman in high school and would loan me her C trumpet for orchestra concerts. I also live in a college town so I got to try other small horns when I took lessons at the University.

My main weaknesses are sightreading (rhythms not transpositions) and endurance, although both have improved greatly.

10. Double_G

Double_G Pianissimo User

May 4, 2005
    Gordonsville, TN
    I'm in the same boat as you. I have always had the mental down, but my play...meh, but I'm getting better...slowly. So, I feel for you.