Things you've always been good at

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by loweredsixth, Jul 7, 2005.

1. trumpet blower88

trumpet blower88 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    I've got the horse sound down pretty well, I had to do that at the end of Sleigh Ride for our holiday concert. A giraffe seems like it could be a litle bit tougher... Mainly because I'm not quite sure I've ever heard a giraffe before... Do they even make noises?

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    No, they don't.

ML

3. trumpet blower88

trumpet blower88 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Haha, well, in that case I guess I'm pretty good at it!

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    Hi Mr. L-

About the picc issue: I decided not to play the picc for any of my grad auditions based on the recommendation of the teachers at all three NY schools I applied to. They said that at Juilliard, they don't want to hear picc on any audition. Mr. Gekker mentioned something about the judges "turning off their ears" when someone plays picc (or something like that).

For everything else: I don't find it difficult to switch between picc and big horns in auditions. I treat each excerpt like an individual statement, and try to make them small, seperate performances of the pieces. That helps me mentally transition for equipment changes.

In recital, I've played picc in the past with good results, but found that I had trouble programming it. I didn't like it first as the next piece would feel a little like playing picc through a big horn. I didn't like playing it last because I ended up playing on my teeth (I know, not something you can do on picc cuz it just says "NO"). I should have said in my post that I limit my picc playing on recital to lighter pieces like Torelli, Handel, Purcell, or the Telemann Marches. I played the Mozart on a concert with orchestra last year, but that was the only piece I played. That worked fine.

Thanks for your advice on the Monette picc lead piece. I'll give it a blow.

:-)