Thinking about a proffesional horn.

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Double_G, Jul 31, 2005.

1. Double_G

Double_G Pianissimo User

May 4, 2005
    Gordonsville, TN
    I would like to find out what you guys and girls play, hear some pros and cons of your horns and tell me what you think would be a good, all-around instrument for a junior in high school to play in marching band, jazz band, concert band, quintet, etc.

Do you know any sellers who could give me a good price on a new horn or cost to mint horn. I would be most thankful for your advise everyone. I will take every post into consideration while I'm sorting through the horns I will be testing. Hopefully I will be going to a fw warehouse dealers and the like.

Are there any things to look for that might be a bad sign that the horn isn't the best choice. And are there any examples that you could give me that would tell me if I'm getting a bargin on a horn.

Do you have a check list you go by when you purchase a new horn? If so what is it?

Thanks again everyone. I look forward to your suggestions.

2. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Probably the best thing for you to do is read Jim Donaldson's "The Trumpet Gearhead" website. http://www.dallasmusic.org/gearhead/. Once that's done, you'll have a lot of the basic questions answered (or at least you'll be able to ask more specific questions). I don't mean that as a put-down at all.... but there's just sooo much to go into that one, generic questions can't begin to "educate" a consumer!

3. cmcdougall

cmcdougall Piano User

Feb 3, 2005
    I personally am a high school student who has played a strad since eigth grade and recently i went on a new horn search and settled on a monette: here are some of the things i was looking for when looking for my next Bb, by the way, i was looking for a "superhorn" so my tests were very tedious where as if you are looking at a mass produced professional horn your checklist may need to be slightly less intense, here is just a portion of the things i gave serious consideration:

Intonation: Self Explanatory, CHECK IT by a tuner, play your full range and higher.

Feel and Fit: How does everything fit together? are the valves tight? are the slides tight? are the slides oiled? if so how do they move, how is the stroke on the valves?

"Default" sound: this is my own little term for the sound that the horn specifically produces compared to other howns you play with the same mouthpiece, same room, same time, etc.... Is it bright? is it dark? is it the template on which you want to build your sound??

What kind of playing do you want to do with it: For example, where as a Callet Jazz may be a suitable lead horn most lead players would not choose a Monette Ajna for their lead horn, they would choose a lighter model with a brighter less thick "default" sound.

Slotting: How does the horn feel in all registers? is it tight? loose? are notes easy to bend? does it lock right in on pitch or require significant help(intonation).

Look of the horn: is it good looking? would you want to spend A LOT of time with it if it was a girl? or a guy if your a girl? because hopefully you will be spending a lot of time with it.

Price: in my opinion there is 3 main levels of horns: Huge manufacturers, 1200-1700$ Bach, Yamaha, other big names, smaller manufacturers, Kanstul, schilke, Etc, 1700-2500$, great service, amazing horns, ESPECIALLY LAWLER, CUSTOM BUILT FOR A GREAT PRICE!!, superhorns:2500-30,000$, treat you like a king, lifetime service, long waiting lists, Monette, Destino, Taylor, Eclipse. How much do you plan on spending? Set a price range of horns you can purchase.

P.S.: I dont know where Carthage Tenn. is but is it anywhere near Decatur?? Isnt that where roy lawlers new shop is?? if so you can get a new model T Lawler for 1500$ This is a steal and i would HIGHLY reccomend it, they play leaps and bounds better i mean LEAPS better than a Strad for about the same or just a slightly higher (>100$) price. It would definitly be worth the try, it was one of the horns i considered on my great search for my "ultimate" horn.

4. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Andrew,

In two weeks, trumpet lessons will start again.

I have a Bach 37, a Kanstul 1503, and a 1981 Getzen Severinson for you to try. The Bach is in the middle, not too dark, or too bright, has an excellent ring. The 1503 is very open, very dark, and has an excellent ring as well. The Severinson is a bit tighter feeling, tends towards brightness, and has a heated ring.

You warm up on your horn, and then I will let you play a passage with all three. I will tell you right now that you will miss notes, due to the differences in feel from what is normally comfortable. What you should listen to is how it sounds, if you like how you push the note. I will make sure you blow the center as well (remember my cane, Andrew?), to see if you like the resonance you feel from each particular instrument.

From there, we will see what we can do. If you like the Bach, I will help find you a good one for a good price (Early Elkhart, most definitely). If you like the Kanstul, I will hook you up with some good dealers (Dr. Fox, PCKing). If you like the Severinson, i can also help you out with this one (I know some vintage horn dealers I can get a hold of.).

I also plan on taking you with me when I visit Decatur.

Van

5. Double_G

Double_G Pianissimo User

May 4, 2005
    Gordonsville, TN
    Ok, thanks for the advice. And Van I'm looking forward to lessons. By the way, did you ask Patrick Kunkee about a lesson or two with me?

6. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    Van...do I need to get Lara in here to keep you in check? :bleah:

Andrew, I would seriously listen to what Van says. He's smart, and he's smart to the point that if he doesn't know, he won't make up something to try and sound smart, he'll just point you in the direction to get the answer. All the advice given so far has been good.

7. cmcdougall

cmcdougall Piano User

Feb 3, 2005
    I wont elaborate on my choice of horn any more than i already have, i purchased a Monette, i say "i play monette" just like people say "i play bach" or "i play getzen". However i dont have it yet so technically i dont yet play a monette, just waiting on it.

8. cmcdougall

cmcdougall Piano User

Feb 3, 2005
    missed, no im not going to leave the horn at home, i am going to play it at school exercising extreme caution, i am not worried as i have a strad that has never got a dent in it(except for me dropping it and i just replaced the bell). As far as the sound clips, i will work on getting a few of mer playing both horns when i get it, i think(hope) u will be pleased with them when the time comes.

9. missednote

missednote Pianissimo User

Jul 24, 2005
    Naples, Italy
    cmc... My only dings have come from myself as well. Like I said I wouldn't trust myself. As soft as those bells are too.....yikes! I'd think it would be a bit harder to replace than a strad, not to mention the price tag.
    -missednote

10. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Don't the Monette's have a good warranty?

Van