Thinking about getting a C trumpet

Discussion in 'Horns' started by trumpet blower88, Jul 11, 2005.

1. trumpet blower88

trumpet blower88 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Lately I’ve been thinking of getting a less expensive entry-level C trumpet. I know a lot of people would think that a high school student like me has no reason for a C trumpet, and for the most part, right now, that is probably the case. But I’m thinking more for the future than anything, I’ll be going off to college next year and I’m planning to major in Music Education, and maybe try for a second major in Music Performance on the trumpet. So within the next few years I will have a legitimate reason for looking into a C trumpet.
    Also, last year in the lower orchestra at my school we played George Bizet’s L’Arsenie (sorry about the spelling, I’m pretty sure I messed up the title). The second movement was written in the key of A, and the third movement was in C, so a C trumpet would have made transposition a lot easier. Now this year I’ll be in the top orchestra and I’m assuming we’ll be playing a lot more music like this, and a C trumpet might come in handy.
    Do you think it is still to early in my trumpet career to be thinking about a C trumpet, or do I have enough need for it that it is a legit purchase?
    What brought this up was “TheLawTalkingGuy†who has put his Holton T602CP C Trumpet up for sale on ebay and in the classifieds section here on TM. My parents owe me a couple hundred dollars for something or other so I figure I can get this for a bout $250-$300 out of my own pocked, that doesn’t seem like to bad of a deal, as long as that is a good trumpet, and from the sound of it, I think it is.

What is your opinion on this? Should I check deeper into it, or just keep dreaming until I have more need for one?

Thanks.

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA

My opinion is that you shouldn't bother with a C trumpet. There is absolutely no reason for you to have one right now unless you came across some extraordinary deal on a great horn. I have a student who is going to be a high school senior and he has a C because I found an excellent deal on a rare horn. However, his transposition skills are excellent and probably would have found the A transposition easier on the Bb more than the C right now. Had I not found that special horn he would be playing Bb exclusively.

So, I'm a bad person to ask this question of if you have your heart set on getting a C. I like students holding on to the Bb as long as possible.

ML

3. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Forte User

Oct 11, 2004
    Farnham (a place too smal
    Speaking purely personally, I find A transposition a lot easier on a Bb than a C.

My suggestion would be to stick with the Bb for a while yet - sort out every transposition on that, acquire all your technique and develop a great sense of musicality. Then if (note IF) you want to play C trumpet in the future you will probably be in a better position to do so.
    I know things are different over here (UK), but I didn't even think about C trumpet until university and didn't own one for a couple of years after that. Even now (a few more years later) I prefer playing everything on my Bb - my home instrument.

4. trumpet blower88

trumpet blower88 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Alrighty, thanks for your opinions. I think your right. Its one of those things that I want, but I don't need, and theres so many things out there I need more right now.