Thinking about getting a piccolo

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by craigph, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    It's not about embouchure and buzzing, but rather air and finesse.

2. craigph

craigph Piano User

Mar 12, 2010
    Japan
    I'll look into that - I'd have to see if there are any English speaking players through (I live in Japan and don't have the vocabulary for playing-related things.)

Years ago when I was a student my teacher lined up some duo work for the both of us, mostly playing weddings. Often I would do the 1st part on my Bb and he would play a descant (or would you say 2nd?) on top of that on his piccolo. Or else, he did 1st on the piccolo and I would do 2nd on Bb. Either way, I still remember getting shivers down my spine listening to him soar above me in a large stone church. Pics really do have a clarity and purity of tone.

3. simso

simso Pianissimo User

Jul 1, 2009
    Australia, Perth
    If your going to learn piccolo then learn it. A lot of people out there will say start on flute and get your embochure down pat and so forth. It really doesnt matter provided you commit yourself to the challenge.

The piccolo uses a faster and tighter air stream to that of a flute

4. craigph

craigph Piano User

Mar 12, 2010
    Japan

Perhaps something was lost in translation.... I was actually talking about piccolo trumpet (on TRUMPETmaster.com ....). No woodwinds here. I've never even touched a flute! (Touched a couple flute players though.) :)

coolerdave likes this.
  5. GreenFrogJelly

GreenFrogJelly New Friend

Jul 19, 2011
    New York
    Piccolo tends to magnify whatever playing tendencies we have on the larger trumpets. It can take time to figure out how it works for you but there's nothing mysterious about it. Good advice is to rest (Rest!) and practice when you're strong (not at the end of practice sessions).

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Duh, the op was referring to a piccolo trumpet I thought, however the last statement of simso does apply to a piccolo trumpet also.

7. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    last time some one mentioned a flute player the thread went for 10 more pages

8. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011
    My four valve Getzen is a sweet one. A late 1970's vintage. Bought it ten years ago and was hardly ever used. Probably because a lot of young trumpet players think high notes will suddenly appear once they buy a pic but not so.

I like it better than any of the extended bell models. The A is very sharp but easily corrected. You do have to use the alternate fingering on the first ledger line A (concert natural). Play it first and FOURTH valve if held longer than an eighth note. Even the third valve alone isn't enough to pull it down in pitch. Yeah it's a little tricky to remember.

In the faster sections just play first and second or third valve.

In church piccolo music I like to use a fairly large mouthpiece for accuracy on cold chops. Which is what Sunday am usually is. Something around a 1C (comparable) if a morning gig. The large piece makes those soft attacks reliable. You probably wouldn't want to use it on the Brandenburg but if the range is only a High D/E or so? Use the bigger piece. Safer.

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The problem most "big" trumpet players have is that they blow the crap out of the picc to get the same type of sound. The picc is really a different world where knocking walls down is NOT the first course of action. Elegant is much more enjoyable than great balls of fire!

I find that the name brand rotary piccs generally do not have the intonation issues or the "glare" that the piston instruments do.

10. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria