Thinking about switching to flute....

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetplayer231, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    How good a flute looks ain't he problem. They are tricky with hidden control wires that don't properly close the holes and pads that are mushed or loose. Too there is a cork in the crown (tuning) that often gets chewed up. If any ever get one, PM me for the best tech IMO to re-condition one or any of the reeds. He is ex USAF DC Band, and great reed player himself. I've a Gemeinhardt M3 about to go to him. Note: Gemeinhardt SPs are now mfr in China. Too, make sure cleaning rod comes with such and that it has a Bb foot so you can play trumpet music on it (most in U.S.do). Undented, reconditioning averages $100-$150 plus shipping. A change to a gold plated lip is $150 by itself. Working on all the instruments of the DC based military bands, the National symphony, Strathmore, Baltimore Symphony, and the DC schools and suburban Maryland and Virginia schools his turn around is not exceptional, but the quality is.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  2. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    No but if you wrap it in a nice soft cloth it can clean out the tuba tubing pretty nicely.....not that I would know about that, just thinking maybe....:oops:

3. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Exactly like flute players themselves, flutes are fussy. One bad pad and it's curtains. :shhh:

Turtle

4. Martin Williams

Martin Williams Mezzo Piano User

Apr 29, 2005
    Columbus, Oh-hi-uh
    Amen, I am a flute player as well (started on sax and then the other woodwinds, trumpet started as a Drum Corps/college marching band thing and really took over and I play it more these days, but still get lots of sax gigs)

But back on topic, the flute is damned fussy! Its the instrument that if you don't practice it, your chops seem to go away quickest and are the hardest to rebuild back up. Not my favorite to play, but quite capable at it!

5. trumpetplayer231

trumpetplayer231 Banned

Aug 31, 2012
    Cape Coral, FL
    Sounds like a good deal ;)

6. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Just because it has open holes doesn't make it a high end flute, I discovered. It was a Pearl flute, not a name I'd ever heard associated with flutes (drums, yes, flutes, no) ... and they didn't show at our appointed rendezvous, so I never got a chance to try it out. :dontknow:

Turtle

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I suppose a flute and violin with bow laying on top of a closed grand piano would appear like the "snoots" of upscale music decor. I've got the flute and violin with bow, but no room for a grand piano so the flute and violin are in their respective cases, thus I don't snoot but only toot.

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Got a grand piano (Steinway) sort of and a flute but no "fiddle". HA!

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    You've got to have the bow also, and often these are more valuable than the instrument. My Mother's pre-owned Steinway grand piano was rare and had a provenance that was stellar. It was an 11 foot model with documented original Bill of Sale from John Steinway to Andrew Carnegie. I don't know what my Father paid for it plus the costs of removing and putting back our living room window and front porch railing to bring it into our house but when we re-sold it, all my Mother said was that she got more than a million dollars for it. I cannot confirm the sale price as I did not see the sale paperwork, but I know the buyer also paid for the window and railing being taken down and replaced again. However, the two violins her Father had (and I now have) at times laid on top of it, neither violin worth more than a hundred dollars, but I turned down $800 for one of the bows as I was having it restrung, the restringing as cost me $300 and the vacuum case it now resides in another $150.

10. cantplaytrumpet

cantplaytrumpet Pianissimo User

Apr 2, 2012
    In regards to turtlejimmy:
    Pearl flutes are a pretty high-end make, and open holes (though I can't tell much difference) make it sound better. It also helps you to use correct fingering or so my girlfriend (a very, very good flute player) says. So, if it was going for $40, I'm sorry to say, but it is probably fake, a scam, or in such bad condition that it'll cost more to repair it than to buy one brand new.
    If it seems too good to be true, it probably is. :-(

Last edited: Sep 22, 2012