Thinking about switching to flute....

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetplayer231, Sep 14, 2012.

1. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Yeah, I forgot to ask on the phone about how the pads were. Replacing all the pads costs more than $40, I believe. Oh well .... I just started playing the drums again, and the flute was just a curiosity. For some unknown reason, I can get a great sound out of flutes ... My sax teacher, who doubled on flute, was amazed. He told me I should concentrate on the flute, since I have such a natural ease with it.

Again, I have to refer to the Tower of Power song, "Sparkling in the Sand," in which there is a great sounding flute over the entire song .... Almost makes you want to play the flute ... until Mic Gillette's (flugel I think) solo comes in and layes waste to the thin, mellow flute sound. Mic's solo reminds me why I wanted to play brass in the first place. Flute is just too mellow.

Turtle

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    You need to be asking a great symphony floutist about repairs and maintaining a flute and some of these don't play metal flutes but instead play ones made of grenadilla wood, but even so, the adjustments of control wires is a delicate process to achieve accurate control of the levers holding the pads. A minor ding to the tube shrouding this control wire and you are shut down regardless of the condition of the pads. Of course, a new complete set of pads also means a complete re-adjustment of the control wires. On low end flutes with carbon steel spring wires when laid aside and not kept lubricated tend to rust and freeze control movement resukting in replacement of the control wires and shroud tube. I could go on and on about the skittishness of a flute (or piccolo) which is not to say the other reeds do incur many of the same problems ... but do notice their control wires and shroud tubes are larger thus not as delicate. Yep, a brass instrument is easier to maintain ... if the player is maintained.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
  3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    "...you can play the flute, there’s no sound in flutes. All I hear is noise." -- Buddy Rich

Kinda says it all right there, doesn't it?

tobylou8 likes this.
  4. Ness

Ness New Friend

Nov 3, 2011
    Does playing around with flute players count? ROFL

I play flute a little bit, a friend of mine sold me a really cheap one for a very good price. It's a fun instrument, haven't had much time to get good at it but I'm not terrible for the amount of effort I've put in. It's very.... different from trumpet. It was probably 2 or 3 days before I could get a sound out of the thing, and it took me a while to build up a good tone (I'm still obsessing about tone for trumpet, though, and I've played that for almost 9 years). Flute takes more air and fingers than trumpet, so it's a bit of a switch. I already learned a few instruments before picking up flute though. (piano, a little bit of horn, guitar, mandolin...)

5. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    You have to wonder about an instrument that is so mellow, it blends with anything, even if you're in the wrong key. :dontknow:

Clams go unnoticed. C'mon, what's the fun of making a clam if it doesn't knock somebody off their chair (like a woodwind player)? :lol:

Turtle

6. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    I can only mess up one music instrument at a time. I do a pretty good job of messing up trumpet and cornet.

Best wishes,

Lloyd

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I detect a little bias here toward creatures with shells. Not a bit shellfish are we not Turtle... Great shelled one. Oh what the shell... I'll nibble!

8. trumpetplayer231

trumpetplayer231 Banned

Aug 31, 2012
    Cape Coral, FL
    I'm surprised this Post is still alive! :-o

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Have a flute player that says he has perfect pitch. I "jokingly" said, "Bring it next time so we can use it"! HAHA, not really. Nothing worse in my ears than an out of tune flute.

10. bamajazzlady

bamajazzlady Mezzo Forte User

May 16, 2011
    There is nothing wrong with the flute and in the hands of a passionate musician, as with all other instruments, it can be beautiful.