Thinking about switching to flute....

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetplayer231, Sep 14, 2012.

1. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Especially if it's playing Bach.

We're mostly just kidding BJL .... Trumpet players look down their bells at most other musical instruments.

Turtle

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I woke up, read the obits in my morning paper, didn't see my name, and suprised I'm still alive!

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Turtle... The eternal optimist. Some trumpet playes look UP from the hellsbells at most other musical instruments.

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Man, when I was at the First US Army band our flutes (particularly one of them) were notoriously out of tune. Of course I didn't help matters - when they were trying to tune in concert band sometimes I'd nonchalantly whistle through my teeth,purposefully whistling a good quarter tone high or low. Not very loud and certainly not loud enough to be noticed by anyone but those sitting right next to me, but it was enough to play havoc with their efforts to tune up. :evil: :lol: ROFL

For those of you playing in concert bands here and there, if you can whistle through your teeth, try it sometime. Watching them scrambling around twisting this way and that on their head-joints trying to fix the problem is somewhat amusing. :-)

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  5. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    How much does a Steinway, anyway?

6. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    How do you get three flute players to be in tune with each other? Send two out for coffee. Sorry.

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Depends whether it's full of a good dark German beer or empty and/or what size.

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Weren't those colonial fifes they were playing in parade and yes, they were notoriously out of tune ... as were the colonial type drums. Saw and heard them in Alexandria VA.

Anyway, IMO colonial fifes were made and fingering set like a bagpipe or some other weird instrument. An Irish tin whistle really upsets a concert floutist. So does a Navy pipe, the latter being more concealable. Too, you can't tune a flute with the head joint. Tuning is attempted to be accomplished with the crown vis there are three sections to a flute: crown (seemingly closed left side end, but adjustable), head joint, and foot.

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Enough that I don't want to fiddle with it alone!! :D

10. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Trying to tune a flute is a nightmare (try it sometime)... Tuning a saxophone is WORSE. They are so easy to bend notes on that you tend to just bend the note in tune, rather than actually tuning it. Generally speaking though, drums are out of tune more often than flutes. The average (or below average) drummer has no idea how to tune his drum kit. :stars:

The only musician I completely trust to keep their instrument in tune is the piano player. :dontknow:

Turtle